Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
4,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried the new Briley Helix Chokes? They claim to disperse the shot in a more consistent pattern???????

blade819

·
Administrator
8,524 Posts
Here is my experience with the Briley Helix Choke.I had 2 of them for my Krieghoff Trap Special,a full and a IM.I spent some time on the patter board and in short what I found was the there was no better performance from the Helix chokes in comparison to the Krieghoff factory Titanium chokes that I had with me.What I did discover is that after shooting 1 round of trap the Helix chokes were very difficult to remove.As the factory chokes were never a problem to spin out along with other brands including Briley Spectrums the only reason I could come up with was that the design of the choke and its stated purpose of putting a spin on the wad ect. had a tightening action.I guess in my case where I did not experience this with my other chokes I feel it is the design of the choke.Needless to say I would not use them in any shotgun that I own and I definately like Briley chokes. Shoot Well George

·
Registered
995 Posts
Hi Blade819.

In the Missouri Fall handicap I was shooting doubles good, a 100 on Monday a 99 the next day.

The next round a guy right beside me had those long Briley Helix sloted chokes, on the first post a piece of plastic hit me in the neck. It did not hurt but gets your attention.

I was 46 straight when he shot his pair next to me and I got hit with a piece of a pellet in the arm. I had two marks about a 1/4 inch apart the one mark was puffed up almost bleeding right by my elbow. It felt like a small bee sting. I knew it was not plastic. I missed the next target out for a 49X50.

I told him about it in between rounds, he was shocked and sorry about it. He said he was using 9's on the first shot. I was thinking about it on every shot next round and hit another 49 I am sure it probably ruined a possible 2 nd. 100 that week.

From what I seen there that day they should be banned from trap use in our game when someone is standing right beside you. Those slots are too long and will allow a pice of lead to get cut in half and exit regularly. I know the piece that hit me would have done real damage to an eye.

I wrote to Briley about this and they gave me a nice concerned reply and said they would do some more testing with them.

Terry.

·
Administrator
8,524 Posts
Good Post Terry, I often wondered about that with the Helix.My shooting was done on the pattern board and a round with me and just another shooter so really did not run into that and of course who would.Obviously there are some issues if Briley plans on keeping the Helix in thier product line.George

·
Banned
4,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Terry:

Good info. I'll talk to you further when I see you at the Dixie or Southern.

blade819

·
Registered
84 Posts
I had the same experience as t Jordan.I have been hit twice by them and have seen blood drawn on another shooter.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Thanks for the information on the Helix chokes. I looked at them at the Grand. The rep stated that he did not try them himself. So I purchased their 42.00 Imp Mod choke and really happy with it for singles and handicap.

·
Administrator
8,524 Posts
Hey Blade, I can relate to you sending yours back.I have 2 for a K-80 that are just sitting here that I got used and after testing and getting some supporting info here they will probably be staring back at me for awhile(LOL)

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
I have 3 for sporting and they work great for me no testing just shoot them with good breaks IC and LM the ic really breaks them well even at distance shots. They do get dirty fast ported chokes make extra work. Will have to keep an eye out for flyers if that happens I will deep six them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts