The tested Briley Helix® chokes performed<br>
well, but just the same as equally-<br>
constricted conventional choke tubes.<br>
The Helix feature had no effect at all on<br>
the patterns.<br>

·
Registered
928 Posts
Would like to thank Neil for taking the time and effort to generate a very informative test report. I only wish I had seen this 2 weeks sooner - to save me the cost of purchasing my own Helix choke. I can say, I would agree with Neil's conclusions. I patterned my IM Helix choke this weekend. I was expecting visible pattern improvement over some other Briley chokes I have ... but I just didnt get it. Oh well.

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good read and very well presented. Worth your time to read.

Thanks Neil!

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Cheetah:

Think maybe it was just an error in pasting the image into the final document perhaps? Doesn't mean the data in the analysis is wrong. Since the data points are not identical in the graph, I'd say it was simply an error in pasting the image. An "oh shi!" moment perhaps, but I wouldn't call it BS.

·
Registered
10,782 Posts
I agree with 870 on the dual posting as a plausible answer instead of an on purpose thing!

Subject: Briley Helix Chokes
Email:
Date: 10-Dec-11

Directional cuts in a choke tube to effect shot pellets is sales hype. It may shred the plastic but it won't have much effect on their claims. While those slots are shredding the wad, the shot charge is leaving town. Patterns will depend on choke diameters and shot hardness. Cuts and slits may allow the gasses to tighten the tube but not improve the patterns as claimed.

In your tests, the best combination of choke selection to bore will be the better patterns, slits or not. If the center core is weak, the rest of that pattern be far flung also.

Does Ljutic still cut rings in the end of their barrels to grab the wads? After about 10 shots they fill with plastic material anyway so that leaves the choke to do the work?

Hap

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Journalism hasn't been about integrity in a long time. It's about ad sales and profits. We need look no further than Good Evening America (it's aired under the name, ABC Evening News), for evidence on advertisings effects on stories.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
If the straight section, that follows the helix section, affects the wad, will not this action negate the effect of the helix section?

·
Premium Member
11,722 Posts
Briley Helix Choke Test - By N. Winston

You're missing the point scooter.

There is no effect of the helix section.

Its all marketing hype.

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Yeah Tim, of course it's marketing hype. It is a blatant attempt to sucker the naive. How can we now believe anything they say?

·
Premium Member
11,722 Posts
Johnny,

Briley makes fine products. Their choke tubes, even the ones with funny grooves and spin devices will produce excellent patterns.

Just be cautious when they or anybody, say they have come up with a new mousetrap.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Neil, once again thanks for your work. I suspected as much and consequently had not purchased any of the chokes. IMHO, most of these articles are leaning to the mfg. co. that you find in the shotgun sports magazines and not really to the customer purchasing the magazines for good info.

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Tim , I am sure you understand my point. There are other fine makers of chokes that do not resort to such tactics.

·
Banned
2,644 Posts
It is always interesting to see products that defy the laws of physics. The muzzle ring "wad stripper" has always been one of my faves. And those "hard hitting" tight bore diameters.

Shooters have more old wives than musicians, I swear.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Briley sent some of the new Helix chokes to a proof house in Italy, and they will soon be posting the stunning findings on Briley.com just as soon as all of the results are back from the proof house. Not sure how soon this will be posted on the site, but the Italians were very impressed with the performance of the Helix choke.

·
Premium Member
11,722 Posts
<i>These chokes work great!</i>

So do just about every other choke out there on the market.

·
Registered
10,782 Posts
I'm wondering how you know the results are "stunning" if the proof house isn't completed yet? For the correct change, I'd give them a stunning report also!! Lotsa verbs n adjectives.

Like Tim says, chokes will print according to the comparative numbers as expected regardless of cuts, slits or word smithing.

Hap

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.