Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in buying Briley's Helix IM choke. This choke puts a spin on the Lead Shot and improves the shot pattern on the outer edge. Has anyone had some experience with this choke and what are your thoughts and recommendations.
I will be shooting Trap from the 16 to 20 yard line. Price thru Briley is 75.00 Thanks, Storeman

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Awesome chokes. A friend of mine is sponsored by Briley and when they 1st sent him the chokes we made fun of them. But after he shot them for a while, we changed our tune. They are as good if not better then most chokes out there. Nothing magic about them, just a really good choke I would compare them to Kicks tubes, not quite as dirty and much easier to clean. They seem to pattern one constriction tighter then marked.

Bryce

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Do a search on this forum and draw your own conclusions, just type in Helix. It's been covered a lot on here. Neil Winston even patterned them in the above link, and found them no better than any others.

Wayne

·
Banned
3,913 Posts
Bryce720 - And Briley put straight rifling in his tubes to keep the wad and shot from spinning.

"If I make it, they will buy it....and pay extra." Did P.T. Barnum say that? ;-)

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have one in my son's 687 EELL. He is the current Sub-Junior Texas State Singles Champion and he absolutely loves it. I won't lie, I think he just likes it because how it looks and his confidence went up because of it. Kids are funny that way.
Daniel

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Like I said it is not Magic!! On the other hand they are good chokes. If you like the look, I would say go for them. He has not had any issues what so ever.

Bryce

·
Registered
995 Posts
I will post this again.

In the Missouri Fall handicap I was shooting doubles good, a 100 on Monday a 99 the next day.

The next round a guy right beside me had those long Briley sloted chokes, on the first post a piece of plastic hit me in the neck. It did not hurt much but gets your attention.

I was 46 straight when he shot his pair next to me and I got hit with a piece of a pellet in the arm. I had two marks about a 1/4 inch apart the one mark was puffed up almost bleeding right by my elbow. It felt like a small bee sting. I knew it was not plastic. I missed the next target out for a 49X50.

I told him about it in between rounds, he was shocked and sorry about it. He said he was using 9's on the first shot. I was thinking about it on every shot next round and hit another 49 I am sure it probably ruined a possible 2 nd, 100 that week.

From what I seen there that day they should be banned from trap use in our game when someone is standing right beside you on a trap station. Those slots are too long and will allow a piece of lead to get cut in half and exit regularly. I know the piece that hit me would have done real damage to an eye.

Terry.

·
Banned
4,725 Posts
I sent two of them back for a refund. Why? A lot of shooters will not shoot next to you if you use them because of muzzle blast.

blade819

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
I can't hardly believe that the muzzle blast from one of these is any worst than anything else with ports.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I have shot next to people with these tubes and have personally not had issues and this was at games shoots, so we we're shoulder to shoulder?? I have more issues with Browning Porting then anything?? They're as good as any tubes out there and the people I know that have them are convinced they work better then most of whats out there. To each his own.

Bryce

·
Registered
8,533 Posts
If your shooting trap from the 16-20 yard line spend your money on more shells, lessons etc...

Don't get sucked into the "cure-all" hype on everything..

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
A friend gave me a IC for my 391 and it is my go to choke smolders clays in that Optima barrel. With that said every barrel is different so shoot it and see how it works in your gun with your reloads/shells then you will know. I have creamed 40 yard targets with this IC sure surprised me

·
Registered
9,982 Posts
I creamed targets from the 37 yard line (just last Sunday) to prove my BT 100 with a extended Briley MOD and Rem Gun Club 2.75dram 1oz #8s could do it hit 4/5...doubt the Helix feature has any magic effect

1 - 17 of 17 Posts