Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I need the brilliant minds of my fellow trapshooters. I just purchased an used Perazzi MX 2005 short rib barrel. On the top barrel I have a Briley series 54 for the choke and on the bottom barrel I have a series 2. Btw both chokes can be interchanged and threaded into the other barrel. Per Briley this can not be true. Does anyone have a clue why I would have two series of chokes that can be interchanged and why would a barrel have two different series choke threads? Thank you in advance

·
Premium Member
1,170 Posts
My guess would be that the seller threw in there what he found quickly to sell the gun. If you don't have any of the Briley paperwork for the choke work in which they outline the barrel serial number, bores/choke series and date of work, I would contact Briley again and give them the barrel serial number and see if they can further assist you. Be careful as that choke mishap can be a very costly, scary and dangerous mistake. Good shooting, Rey

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
So I need the brilliant minds of my fellow trapshooters. I just purchased an used Perazzi MX 2005 short rib barrel. On the top barrel I have a Briley series 54 for the choke and on the bottom barrel I have a series 2. Btw both chokes can be interchanged and threaded into the other barrel. Per Briley this can not be true. Does anyone have a clue why I would have two series of chokes that can be interchanged and why would a barrel have two different series choke threads? Thank you in advance
I don't think the choke threads are different, but the internal barrel diameters are.
If so, the chokes may screw in either barrel, but would certainly not be safe to shoot in the wrong diameter barrel.

·
Registered
291 Posts
The thread may be the same, but perhaps the skirt or size or something is different - as above, tread (thread) carefully. Contacting Briley isnthe best idea.
Mike B

·
Registered
586 Posts
The series 54 barrel might have been back bored. Can't imagine Briley would thread for 2 different choke series. The series are based upon bore diameter. You really need to confirm bore diameters before shooting. You could have a dangerous situation. Best scenario is they are the same bore diameter and the seller just put in the wrong tube. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All right, we had some great information and thank you all.
Per Hannah @Briley

“One of the chokes must be mis-marked then. If you have a set of calipers and can measure the outside diameter over the threads and body, we can probably figure it out.

Series 2
body .758 threads .770

Series 54
body .763 threads .775

If you can measure the bore size, nominal for Series 2 is .735 and Series 54 is .740.

Hopefully these measurements can narrow it down.

Thank you so much and have a great day!”

After this email and measuring three times by various friends, we have a mislabeled choke !!!

Big Thank you to Briley!!!

·
Registered
945 Posts
I'll bet that if you sent the mismarked choke back to Briley they would either correct the marking or replace it for you. JPM

1 - 9 of 9 Posts