Trapshooters Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
25,284 Posts
50 yards is tough for that kind of accuracy for a centerfire handgun. No wonder the Les Baer slides have to be broken in.

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
I have done work for a shop making high end target pistols.

Jim about the pistol shot of his day, described his process with these pistols

Clean the barrel really good to make sure all the oil and chips from the the machining and chambering are removed.

Go shoot it.
If it shoots as well as i/you expect shoot it as much as you can and have fun!

If it doesn't get a new barrel because all the stuff advertised in the magazines won't cure what ails it!

·
Sky Buster
4,210 Posts
The distance all 1911's are compared at. There's only one distance where 1.5" from a 1911 qualifies for bragging rights. I'm sure sky buster understood.
It's 50 yards which can only be duplicated with a machine rest and select
lot's of ammunition. I'm talking the real world where most shooters
operate. I have a early S&W 1911 with over 8,000 rounds through it.
Nothing broke yet. My Remington 1911 purchased about a year ago,
shoots 1.5'" at 25 yards. My Les Baer can match it but hasn't beat
it yet. I've yet to meet a competitive shooter that can shoot 1.5"
at 50 yards. If you buy a Baer with his 50 yard guarantee, I'll
bet you can't match it. And yes, I'll bet a $800.00 1911 properly
fit can take you into the winners circle at any match. Look at
the military teams 1911's. Stock guns fitted properly shoot
well. You don't have to spend $2,000 to $3,000 to win.

·
Registered
8,065 Posts
I took the instruction from Les Baer seriously, I shot 500 rounds as they told me to. 450 rounds of Winchester white box FMJ, and 50 rounds of mixed Hydrashock and Silver Tip. Well over $300 for this "Break-In".
Then I spent 10 minutes working on the barrel bushing try to take the gun apart to clean it without cursing some words that I can't repeat here.
The gun is tighter than anything you can find in the gun world. Even after 500 rounds.

I don't know what's the big fuss about the break in, because there're no jam during the 500 round test.

Mine is a 3" group factory gun. I fired off hand, single & two hands to test feeding, then rest it on a stand, adjusting my breath, trying to slow down my heart beats, at 23 yard (the longest at the indoor range), this is what I can get.

Gun Shooting sport Air gun Compass Shooting

The gun out shoots anyone I know.

BTW, based on my personal experience with four top American 1911 makers, Brown, Les Baer, Nighthawk, Wilson, plus the fancy finish Cabot, it's my opinion that Baer is the best, and happen to be the cheapest among them too.

·
Banned
4,738 Posts
It's 50 yards which can only be duplicated with a machine rest and select
lot's of ammunition. I'm talking the real world where most shooters
operate. I have a early S&W 1911 with over 8,000 rounds through it.
Nothing broke yet. My Remington 1911 purchased about a year ago,
shoots 1.5'" at 25 yards. My Les Baer can match it but hasn't beat
it yet. I've yet to meet a competitive shooter that can shoot 1.5"
at 50 yards. If you buy a Baer with his 50 yard guarantee, I'll
bet you can't match it. And yes, I'll bet a $800.00 1911 properly
fit can take you into the winners circle at any match. Look at
the military teams 1911's. Stock guns fitted properly shoot
well. You don't have to spend $2,000 to $3,000 to win.
What military teams shot stock guns? There is a world of difference between a NM pistol or rifle and the ones the military provides it's shooters.

If you want to talk real world, then patterning, shooting groups from a bench, and machine rests results, would be worthless, but they are the accepted measure of a guns quality and accuracy capability. Just because you can't utilize the full capabilities of a firearm does not make you a good shooter.

You say you have never seen a 1.5" competition shooter? Your initials must not be KRB then. I'll bet you wouldn't believe a human can out shoot a Ransom Rest either? I've seen both. There are not very many great 50 yd shooters anymore, as that competition went the way American trap is going.

Reality is that a pro with a 1.5" gun is not going to be beat by someone with an 800.00 gun. I've never seen that done, nor do I believe it can be.

You changed your statement from a stock 800.00 gun to an 800.00 dollar gun "W/ PROPERLY FITTED PARTS" You are not going to get that all for 800.00. No way. Granted competition guns were in fact 800.00......if you go back in time far enough.

·
Banned
4,738 Posts
I took the instruction from Les Baer seriously, I shot 500 rounds as they told me to. 450 rounds of Winchester white box FMJ, and 50 rounds of mixed Hydrashock and Silver Tip. Well over $300 for this "Break-In".
Then I spent 10 minutes working on the barrel bushing try to take the gun apart to clean it without cursing some words that I can't repeat here.
The gun is tighter than anything you can find in the gun world. Even after 500 rounds.

I don't know what's the big fuss about the break in, because there're no jam during the 500 round test.

Mine is a 3" group factory gun. I fired off hand, single & two hands to test feeding, then rest it on a stand, adjusting my breath, trying to slow down my heart beats, at 23 yard (the longest at the indoor range), this is what I can get.

View attachment 339018

The gun out shoots anyone I know.
Steve W. You should never/not.... remove the barrel and bushing on a top shelf 1911. I know never is a long time, but leave the barrel and bushing in the slide.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
BiO asks at what distance? 25yds is the standard distance for testing handgun accuracy. I believe Baer states 10 shot groups. The 1.5 in groups at 50yds is a bold marketing gimmick for Baer's more expensive guns. Baer guns are as good as it gets but I would challenge anyone to reproduce 1.5 in, 10 shot groups at 50yds. I own some high end 1911's and a Ransom Rest and it seems almost impossible. The ammo would have to be PERFECT and absolutely zero tolerances in the gun.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts