Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was wondering if anyone had some breaking clay photos,or similar ones you would like to share?

Have seen some here,but always enjoy seeing them.

Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Well, here's the shot string just hitting the edge of the target.

Here's 1/8 of a second later.

Well, I wasn't skunked that round.

My son *insists* I give him the photo credit. Photo by ... my son.

·
Registered
25,281 Posts
Looks like a mountain in the background?

·
Registered
752 Posts
Here's a shot I took at our gun club recently, of a friend of mine with the shot-string really visible, and you can even see the wad falling off behind it, perfectly in line with the target that he was about to break. Testing out my new Sony A580 (16.2 mp) camera.

·
Registered
42 Posts
msyaun hi I would like to take pics of of shot strings and clay target explosions. What camera are you using and could you provide any other info that would help. Your pics are great, . thanks Frank [email protected]

·
Registered
172 Posts
Frank, I use a Canon 1D Mk II. This shot had a 100-400 f4.5-f5.6 zoom on it. To freeze the shot string, the shutter speed was set I think to 1/1000 and the ISO setting was probably the same, around ISO 800 or ISO 1200. The frame rate on this camera is good -- fastest in its day, 8.5 frames per second for up to 25 shots, I think.

This setup was expensive 7 years ago (~$6,000), but as 3 models have followed it, the price has dropped significantly. You can pick one up on e-Bay for less than $1000 (body only).

I contend you don't need a fancy, expensive camera to shoot this stuff -- just bright light, fast shutter speeds and probably high ISO to freeze the shot. With a lesser camera, you'll probably need to take more shots to get it exactly the way you want it, but heck, the cost of those shots is only time, shells and targets -- no more film or developing cost.

One thing to keep in mind with point and shoot cameras -- there often is significant shutter lag -- the shot goes off like 1/2 second after you push the button -- so account for that when you take the shot. If your camera has "modes", then set it for sports mode or action mode to freeze the action. If you can adjust your camera manually, start with 1/800 or 1/1000 of a second shutter speed.

Sorry, more than you probably wished to know.

·
Registered
42 Posts
m yuan thanks so much for the detailed info. Just trying to learn as much as I can before buying a camera. What make and model camera would you suggest? What lens? Is 35mm? I am definetly a novice camera guy, but just like the clay pigeon pics. I think others would like knowing where the shot went. thanks again Frank

·
Registered
307 Posts
Guess I can't get more than one image into a post. I think this one is a friend of mine just as the shot string reaches the target and begins to break.

Doc

·
Registered
307 Posts
One more - same shooter, different shot. Pretty clear on shot string, target and wad behind. He did smoke this target. I guess the trick is to shoot at a very high speed and shoot a lot. You'll get lucky sooner or later. I spent about a half-hour to get these two shots.

Doc

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.