Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for advice. I've noticed small brass shavings in the bottom of my K-80 receiver. Is it the gun or the reloader? Using Win AA's and a Dillon for a reloader.
Thank you, Dave T.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I would look for a sharp edge anywhere that gun metal touches brass. You might find a shiny spot on the brass, where it is being shaved.

·
Registered
6,058 Posts
My KX-5 would "catch" the brass shell head on the chamber mouth when I closed the gun if I used Remington hulls - it wouldn't do it with Federal shells because of their higher brass head. Krieghoff International basically shortened the travel of the ejector a little so the brass was already slightly inside the chamber mouth when the gun was closed.

Ed

·
Premium Member
2,940 Posts
The culprit is usually the firing pin hole. The bottom edge gets sharp and as the curved edge of the shell passes by a small shaving of brass is cut from the bottom edge of the shell brass. Any competent gunsmith can relieve this sharp edge with a small stone or burr.

Bob Schultz.

·
Registered
291 Posts
i had the same thing happen to me....norbert fixed it at san antonio.....the firing pins to through a "block" that is fitted in the receiver .... if the round ends don't fit properly and sit back just a hair..a edge from the receiver becomes apperent....my shavings came from the top shell...you'll have to have krieghoff or a train gunsmith work on it.... p.s. it does'nt matter if you use cheap or over priced shells..if the face is not even you'll shave brass

·
Registered
220 Posts
Had it with my Guerini right after I bought it. It was the resizer not tightened down enough on my MEC. Measured a new shell and a reload and there was about 0.010" difference. Shrunk the reloads a bit and no more problems.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Maka: Not Titanium. Forged steel then CNC machined. Hand engraved. Titanium can only be laser/machine engraved.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.