Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
7,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was shooting on Sun. first box 25, next 3 boxes 68--- all misses 7 of them on post 1, included two flinches-- what causes a shooter to do this? total mental disconnect or what ----

Phil Berkowitz

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
Losing sight of the target behind the barrel. Don't try to keep your barrel ahead of the target the instant it leaves the trap, because the barrel will be blocking your view of the target . Let it get out where you can see it
clearly than move the gun through the target and release the trigger.

·
Registered
20,145 Posts
Few days ago IIRC, you were talking about holding a higher gun. When I have a day I can't hit a barn from inside I go back to basics and start again. Foot position, Gun mount, Hold point, Focus, Grip, all those tiny things that can get out of kilter and cause a lost bird.

Don T

·
Registered
8,217 Posts
So you don't think going to the high hold has anything to do with this problem?

Posts 1 and 5 will be the worst to see with a high hold for a one-eyed shooter.

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
visual flinch....not seeing the bird clearly. I'm having the same problem on post 1 only.

·
Registered
14,673 Posts
Were you struggling on station 1 before this? Target panic?

Go to a trapfield and shoot 3-4 boxes on station one and prove to yourself that you want to attack station 1, not defend against it. Play with your hold point and view point till you feel comfy. Smooth is good. Out of control, fast, bad.

See the bird, shoot the bird.

·
Premium Member
1,725 Posts
Setterman has it. You really want to get good?

100 targets on each post 1-5 almost becomes second nature. Doing this coupled with shooting either weekly or bi-monthly will turn you from good to great.

Brady Gies

·
Registered
8,331 Posts
Random target selection provided by the Pat Trap. First round, it threw all of your favorites. Next three rounds, it threw 7 of the kind you hate. Check your memory. ;-)

Bob Falfa

·
Banned
7,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Prior to this weekend shoot , I hardly ever miss one station one, I normally shot boxes of shells on station 3 & 5. Now station one is on my list.

Phil Berkowitz

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Same problem on Post 1.

I ended up using the "hold out 1 foot, and level with the front of the trap house roof" approach. Can now see those pesky left handers that cost me so many lost targets. I even used to flinch (throw the gun at them) with my release, because I wouldn't see the left hander quickly. Also, I "Look" out with a soft focus. Seemed to help me.

Dave in SC

·
Banned
7,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Was drilling this morning, the front bead fell off--after that didn't miss a thing--problem must have been bead checking--eye going to the bead & not the target--getting the old black sharpie.

Phil Berkowitz

·
Registered
801 Posts
Are you wearing a heavyer clothing then normal? When I switch from my lighter sweat shirt to my heavy winter coat,I had the same problems.Had an adjustable butt plate installed and hade the l.o.p. shortend by a 1/4". Turn it out in the warm weather one turn,and in one turn for winter shooting.Helps me to keep my head on the stock. Just an idea that worked for me. Ray

·
Banned
7,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have all my winter shooting clothes cut out where the gun stock mounts--no change in LOP needed, I'm in Fl

Phil Berkowitz

·
Banned
7,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Went to the range today, shot 100 targets, 2 misses, 2 chips---blacking out the front sight did the trick==most important NO misses on station one--all the other targets were vapor.

Phil Berkowitz

1 - 20 of 20 Posts