Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Check your credit card statements if you recently used it at Ballistic Products.

I use a virtual credit card for online purchases and started receiving declined purchase alerts for the one defined for BPI.

·
Premium Member
1,071 Posts
Interesting. I had fraud detection on a CC I've used with them the other day. That's the 2nd time the card I used at BPI has had an issue. To be fair, I've used the same card in other places so I couldn't isolate where the breach may have occurred.

Have you contacted BPI to let them know?

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
Received a fraud alert last week on a card that I used at BPI in the past. Haven't used it there since Jan. I doubt it was there. In my part of the world there has been an epidemic of CC hacks after using the card at gas stations. I even saw one of the attendants walking around with his phone out. Probably snapping pics of cards. Unfortunately we can't pump our own gas in N.J. so you have to hand the card to the attendant. And no, I don't walk around with $100+ to fill my tank.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Me too. I used my cc to purchase primers a little while ago and the credit card company contacted me about activity at a Walmart out west. Told them it wasn't me. They declined the transaction at Walmart and issued me a new card with new numbers.

Never knew how they got it until I read this thread. makes sense now.

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Interesting. I had fraud detection on a CC I've used with them the other day. That's the 2nd time the card I used at BPI has had an issue. To be fair, I've used the same card in other places so I couldn't isolate where the breach may have occurred.

Have you contacted BPI to let them know?
Hopefully He did, prior to posting about this issue. If yes, then good on the OP.

For the OP, was this a dedicated virtual credit card number used only for purchases at BPI?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hopefully He did, prior to posting about this issue. If yes, then good on the OP.

For the OP, was this a dedicated virtual credit card number used only for purchases at BPI?
I spoke to BPI. I was the only one to report an issue. If you let them know as well, they may be able to determine when the breech occurred. I had 3 separate orders since the beginning of the year.

Yes, virtual card only for BPI.

·
Premium Member
1,071 Posts
I'll give them a call. In my case the first time was many months ago. The second time was Wednesday of this week. Could an issue at their end have caused both? Perhaps, hard to tell. Considering we both just got slammed and my updated CC information was on file from the last purchase with them, the latest issue looks a lot more probable. Given you used a virtual CC number that was only on file with that one vendor - well, that narrows the potential down quite a bit.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I have been hacked after shopping at Cabelas, and Brownells. I now lock my credit cards and tell the merchant to let me know when they are going to run the card, as I lock it. They are really good about it, and understand. I never leave the card on file when checking out just in case. Too much info out there already. My credit card company sends me a text anytime there is a charge to my card as well.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I feel bad now. I have been meaning to call BPI about this. A credit card I used for a BPI order was hacked shortly after I used it with them. Then, over the next couple of months, four or five other shooters I know, who had also ordered primers from BPI, had their cards hacked. Too many instances to be coincidence.

I don’t think that anyone got hurt by a successful theft, but we all had to get new cards. I now use a different card when I order from BPI, and no problems in the past six months.

I just tried to call them, but the line is busy.

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
You have to watch some of these crooks. They are quite good at their criminal activity.

I had one instance where my wife received a phone call,supposedly, from the credit card comp[nay security and theft protection department. This was only a few hours after we had u8sed it at a restaurant about a hundred miles from home. They asked if we had purchased a Rolex watch and a large screen tv in California. I overheard my wife on the phone and she started answering a question they asked. I do not recall the exact question but it was something "to verify her id". Red Flag! I interrupted her, and got her off the phone for a few seconds and said "Scam". Then we asked for a telephone number for their office or an e-mail or web site. They actually did provide one.

The number did NOT match the phone on the back of the card. Red Flag! I asked for a case or incident number to track things. They asked for an address to send a new card Red Flag! I said something had come up and we have to leave nad will call them back. They wanted a card number security code but I said we HAVE to leave. I then called the number on the back of the card. They had never heard of that security office, I called the number, an 800 number and it identified as a Barclay (the card company processor) number on the ANI but this was a number that the actual Barclay Card services had never heard of. I then looked at the web site they gave me and compared it to the listing of offices that Barclay had on their actual official web site. The two sites looked almost identical EXCEPT for Address and Phone. The false site however showed no office hours at all and the phone # was the 800 number the scammer had given and the official site showed no offices at all in Pennsylvania where the false site said it was. That was worth about three or four Red Flags!!! to me.

A Goggle street view of the supposed address showed a grassy field and it was located only a mile or two from where the restaurant we had eaten at was located. The flag pole was so full of Red Flags!!!! that it was beginning to bend. When I reported the whole thing to our local police department I was told that they had never seen such an elaborate set up for a scam. 800-number with ANI, Identical (almost) web site (multiple pages), having enough info about the card to make it appear to be a true call (Barclay was the processing bank but the card was identified as an airline sponsored card) and a well rehearsed script. Oh, by the way the true security office put a stop on the card and reissued a new card with different number when I told them about this.

I have adopted the old Ronald Reagan style, which he based on the old Russian proverb “doveryai no proveryai”, dealing with credit card calls. "Trust but Verify!"

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I vaguely remember this happened a year or so ago with TS members having their CC hacked and/or unauthorized use from BP orders. If their system was not hacked then its in house stealing CC #'s. I checked my CC and so far not a victim yet. Maybe BP not worth the hassle for $69 a 1000 primers x 5.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Check with your credit card provider and see if they offer a virtual card system for online purchases. My Capitol One card has this activated and it's very easy to use and generates a different credit card number when you go to fill in your CC number, plus you can put a time limit on how long the number is good for which comes in very handy for those auto renewals that I always forget to cancel after the trial period. I have had no problems using CCs online since I started using this, previously I'd need a new CC every few months.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts