Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Centralia Knitting Mills swatch card with 24 colors / weights sent free to to anyone looking to purchase a new sweater. I have bought my last and also gave one to my shooting buddy.
Dan

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
He is referring to the wool shooting sweaters by the name of Skookum. They came in two different weight, 3 ply and 6 ply. Very nice sweaters with shell pockets and with leather shooting pads. Very nice sweaters and warm. A gentleman on Ebay was selling some at a very reasonable price.

·
Registered
4,278 Posts
You gonna wear them out Ed?? LOL They are a great sweater for the colder climates. Ed, who was the skeet shooter of years ago that sold them throughout the east? Just remembered Kaufman, correct? I hope;)

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Not real sure, but I believe Mr. Kaufmans' first mane was Harold. I remember he traveled around to different shoots and sold shooting sweaters.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
Harold lived on Elmora Ave. in Elizabeth NJ. He used to show up at Somerset County F & G when my family ran the club during the 70s. He'd hawk his wares out the back of a station wagon. I took my oldest daughter to his apartment so we could order matching sweaters. After measuring her's, he told me that it was 125.00. He them measured mine and said that it would be $5.00 per inch for the sleeves since they were over 35" and $5.00 per inch because it surpassed the allowable body length. By the time he was done, he wanted about $180.00. After pointing out to him that my daughter's sweater was well under his limit's, he agreed to sell me the pair for $250.00

Ed Yanchok

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
MINE!!! It gets used one weekend a year, then gets put away for safe keeping. Mint shape and it even fits a little better now.

Jimmy Bowen

·
Vendor
19,357 Posts
Wow Ithaca, someone is taking pretty good care of that club you are at. must be a classy joint. But you have to stop shooting that trap house... aim a little higher

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
I have one in the heavier weight but rarely wear it since its usually windy where I shoot and it has no wind barrier like the Beretta sweaters I use. They don't stop wind for sure but they are warm on a calm, cold day. Very heavy and well made and believe I paid closer to $200 than $125.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
I bot two from the gentleman on ebay 3-4 years ago. The heavier one(6 ply of wool) was about $10.00 higher($70.00 total). I see he has a few left, but not many and colors are limited.

·
Registered
4,278 Posts
Glad I asked that Ed. Harold was a character of sorts for sure. He used to come to Minute Man in MA for the skeet shoots which were large in those days. I remember he sold me his IBM ball type writer (remember them) for $400 as I recall. I think I got the "trap shooters special". Those were fun times.

Mike, In those days they were THE sweater. Actually there weren't a lot out there then on the market. They were the quality sweater of the times.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
I purchased my Skookum sweater from Harold Kaufmanin 1961 in Elizabeth NJ also along with a set of Decot glasses. I still wear it today 53 years later the quality is exceptional just purchased 2 more in a larger size sad to say.

Harold was more of a skeet shooter himself had several K 32 Crown grade 4 barrel sets. About 8 years ago I met his son Don Kaufman at the Silver Dollar who lives in NC who has his dads old guns.

One of the original old school venders run out the back of a station wagon my old friend back in the day was Dink Reinhart sold components and ran a Thursday night shoot in Chester NJ long gone but fondly remembered shot a Ithaca 4 E

Buddy Walters

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
Buddy,
I too knew Dink and shot at the Chester club on Thursday evenings. Fun 10 bird money shoots. Also used to go over to his house on Church Street to buy components.

Ed Yanchok

1 - 19 of 19 Posts