Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got everything I needed to do on my days off done yesterday so it left today open. Used some scrap wood I had laying around and made a patterning board.

Turned out pretty good, though I don't know how well the OSB board will hold up. Picked up some red rosin paper to pattern with

·
Banned
9,042 Posts
I think you would be better off cutting the center out, before you shoot it out. Run a 2 X 4 across the bottom, and the top of the OSB. I see a dowel laying on the ground for the roll type system. Maybe figure out a way to hook that up, protected inside a metal box, or guard on the bottom, that you could just pull up a new sheet, and cut it off. Metal guides on the sides, and a removable clip on top. Just some suggestions to make it easier. Wind may cause some problems, but I know what the wind does when you are trying to connect up a piece of paper also.

pattern board.jpg

·
Registered
355 Posts
The one we made is wider and has a box enclosure that the rosin paper sits in. The top of the box has hinges so the paper is held taunt by the weight of the top after the paper is clipped to the upper 2x4. Works well for our needs Joe

·
Registered
45 Posts
The OSB will eventually get a large hole worked through it. I would cover it with a metal plate and keep grease on it. But if you do not mind replacing the wood once in a while no big deal.

·
Registered
14,893 Posts
I would bolt a 10 gauge or 1/8" steel (minimum) plate over that baby right now.

4-5 shots at 14 yards.......4" hole pronto!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies fellas. I didn't think out the spacing for the paper holder. The width is 36" which is also the same width as the paper so it was a little too tight of a fit. I think building a box for the past is going to need done. Gonna work on it some more when I have the time to come up with something to hold it. Took it up to the gun club to pattern my buddies gun tonight and I gotta say, the OSB held up way better than I was expecting none of the shot even passed through. I have an extra backer for it so I think I'll just keep it for replacement down the road if I need it. @Stl Flyn i thought about cutting the middle out while I was building it but I wound up keeping it in for the added weight since it gets pretty windy at our club. I drilled holes in the base to stake it down and they held great so cutting it out is a possibility now. @eightbore haha. The next door neighbor was interested in it. I had to mooch a pair of clamps off of him because mine wouldn't fit over the 3 stacked 2x4s in the middle of the base.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Egledhill, If you go to the search forums above and type in "patterning boards" then type in Neil Winston in the poster heading and search shooting related threads Neil's design for a patterning board will come up about half way down the searched threads. This is the design we followed. Works great. Joe

·
Premium Member
12,907 Posts
Not trying to take away from your work, but I use an old, cheap metal tubing 'log ring' and a few spring clamps to hold the paper in place.

Cost was nothing for the ring - maybe $4 for the clamps - and paper as you use it.

·
Registered
507 Posts
It's perfect! If you need to improve it, you'll know it!

Pattern testing is great for initial gun fitting, to get it hitting where your looking, or some degree above that. Centering targets are the best for final setting up of your gun, choke, and load!

·
Registered
800 Posts
Here's one I made about one year ago. The paper rolls up and is stapled in place. The wind was blowing everything apart when I took there picture.

Tom
IMG_1580.JPG

1 - 14 of 14 Posts