Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, a little stretch re: the category but this is shooting related. I have a Remington 870 12 ga. shotgun with an aftermarket Hasting cantilevered rifled barrel. I just purchased a new scope and we are in the middle of gun season in Indiana. I'd like to mount the new scope on the gun but have limited time to be at a table on the range. Since the scope is mounted to the barrel and doesn't change zero when I remove the barrel and then put it back on the gun - can I bore sight the scope to the barrel like I would with a rifle ?

I hate to use up a bunch of expensive slugs getting the gun to print on paper and then zero at 100 yards.

Thanks in advance.

amboy49

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
You owe your quarry a clean kill. Make sure that shotgun slug will shoot EXACTLY where you're aiming. Bore sighting does not do that.

·
Registered
45 Posts
He just wants to get on paper first.

They have boresighters the size and shape of a shell that will fit snugly in the chamber and work pretty well. 'bout 20-30 bucks tho. Ask around maybe someone you know has one or one of the big kits with lots of adapters and you can borrow.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
would help on your POI of your regular shotgun also???? depending on the rib you have ..... Point across a big building and see where it is going to hit verses where your beed is?

I have always wanted to try that.... especially with kids showing them where they are actually shooting ..

Just a thought...
Wes

·
Registered
8,217 Posts
At 50 yards just look down the barrel and center the target then set the scope to that target, install barrel and shoot. You will be surprised how close you are.

·
Registered
995 Posts
1 shot sight in:
Place one shot onto paper from a very steady gun, shooting off sand bags.
Now with the help of a bystander, steady the rifle onto the bullseye, DO NOT LET IT MOVE, then have someone adjust the reticle over from the bullseye to the actual point of impact.
Test fire.
OK, 2 shots...
dju

·
Registered
874 Posts
If using a laser use one that goes in muzzle not chamber. Did three slug guns yesterday with a Site Lite 100. It will get you close but that's all.

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
Edit: Deleted message. I hadn't had my coffee yet. LOL

Just Say'n......

·
Registered
16,616 Posts
I bore sight rifles all the time looking down the barrel. I lock the gun in a clamp holder I have (for mounting scopes, cleaning, etc) and center the bore on the top corner of my neighbor's garage door. I can see when the corner is cutting 1/4 of the circle.

Eddie's flashlight idea is cool, and david's 2 shot zero (after doing one of the aforementioned) is the way to go.

HM

1 - 10 of 10 Posts