Trapshooters Forum banner

Bone conducting hearing enhancement

1674 Views 13 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  cmccoy76
The youth shooting season has started here in Arkansas and my Saturdays will be spent coaching kids for 4-5 hours. When we are coaching I normally use a pair of Walker electronic muffs, so I can hear what's going on. The downsides are wind noise and they can get hot. I have been considering a pair of ESP ear plugs but they start at $900 and the noise reduction rating is not that great compared to my custom molded plugs or muffs.
That got me to looking at the Walker's Raptors that you wear with your ear plugs and they allow you to hear through bone conduction. They look like a great option, but at around $300 I'd like to hear from someone who has tried them and not just a youtube review from someone who got them for free. Anyone here on TS tried them?
Reactions: Dustydoo
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
6,619 Posts
I know of bone conduction being an option for deafness. Before my son got approved for a cochlear implant we were pretty close to getting him a bone conduction hearing aid. The only thing I remember is that a tight fit against a cranium bone was required. Tight enough to become uncomfortable especially to a child. But that was 20+ years ago .

Al

Reactions: cmccoy76

· Registered
586 Posts
My wife is an audiologist. I asked her about this recently. Yes, you could wear bone conduction "headphones" and still be able to hear while wearing good in ear hearing protection. I may give it a shot so I can listen to music while I shoot.

· Ya can't miss with a shotgun
3,181 Posts
In my own opinion and experience, the best on the market for bone conduction sound is from AfterShoks. I wear my standard molded ear plugs plus the AfterShoks, and the sound is amazing.

· Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In my own opinion and experience, the best on the market for bone conduction sound is from AfterShoks. I wear my standard molded ear plugs plus the AfterShoks, and the sound is amazing.

Do yours only do music, or can you use them to amplify sound while wearing ear plugs? I was going to use them for both listening to music and for coaching.

· Registered
1,131 Posts
It’s not talked about very much, but if shooting was an industry you would be required to wear dual protection. Do your own research on sound levels and see where shooting compares to things like jack hammers.

I lost a lot of hearing on the farm growing up, and this combo is what I wear all the time, when shooting and when helping out our high school team. I can turn the volume up to hear people talk while having the the ear plugs in. I recommend splurging and buying the silicone ear caps, they are softer than the ones that come with the muffs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3,181 Posts
Do yours only do music, or can you use them to amplify sound while wearing ear plugs? I was going to use them for both listening to music and for coaching.
As far as I know, they can only be used for music, telephone, etc.; it doesn’t have any type of sound amplification capability.

3,181 Posts
Do they interfere with your shooting glasses?
Not at all,.... they sit close to your head and ear, and the arms of the glasses go over the top with no interference. For context, I’ve used AfterShoks with Oakley and Decot HyWyds and didn’t even know I had on anything other than glasses.

· Registered
36,911 Posts
The youth shooting season has started here in Arkansas and my Saturdays will be spent coaching kids for 4-5 hours. When we are coaching I normally use a pair of Walker electronic muffs, so I can hear what's going on. The downsides are wind noise and they can get hot. I have been considering a pair of ESP ear plugs but they start at $900 and the noise reduction rating is not that great compared to my custom molded plugs or muffs.
That got me to looking at the Walker's Raptors that you wear with your ear plugs and they allow you to hear through bone conduction. They look like a great option, but at around $300 I'd like to hear from someone who has tried them and not just a youtube review from someone who got them for free. Anyone here on TS tried them?
Brought back this thread to say Brownell’s is advertising on sale for 150.00 On their website.

· Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I ended up getting a set of Bluetooth ear buds off of Camofire for $71. I figured I could do it all with those and experiment with listening to music. They have a noise reduction rating of 29 which seems to be higher than most earbud type hearing protection. I haven't gotten them yet but they should be here Monday. I plan to write a review when I get to try them.

ROPE HEARING ENHANCER - Walker's

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.