Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Jack, How many pounds are you pulling on the bows? I am pulling 25lbs with reps till I start to burn, just don't want to pull or damage anything. I already feel bulked and stronger but am loose when mounting and swinging my gun doing the Jordan Dryfire Chart. Haven't shot any registered yet but that is going to change beginning next month. I guess I'll see then if the effort has been worth it. Thanks, John

·
Registered
10,479 Posts
As an old gym rat, for those 50 and above, my recommendation is to use lighter weights and higher reps. Look for range of motion and endurance over brute strength. If you are flexible and don't get tired quickly you will have sufficient strength for what you want to do.

Get an OK from your doctor before starting a program, and include cardio conditioning so you don't get tuckered out in the third event. An elliptical trainer or recumbent bike trainer will give you the low impact conditioning you need. Smart lifestyle choices and proper nutrition will also be the key to healthy living.

Many folks my age (61 this May) can no longer compete effectively in all three events, and have gone to one event, generally caps. Shoot all the events, and have fun. You ARE doing this for fun, right????

·
Registered
93 Posts
When you are 65 you qualify for the Silver Sneakers Program in a lot of health clubs with certain health plans. Free membership to certain clubs. Just a thought to help with costs.
ftlupton

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
UPDATE: many people buy exercise equipment and use it for awhile, then it sits and collects dust while awaiting to be donated to the Salvation Army or given away at a yard sale. This has not been the case for me with the Bowflex, I have used it every other day since I've owned it(bought it back in Feb.07) and for some reason I enjoy working out on it. Some days I cheat and use it every day! I am using it mainly for upper body but these exercises have strengthened my back and have helped me tremendously when shooting a 300 event day.

MIA, thanks for your help and suggestions relating to the Bow! Biff

·
Registered
4,410 Posts
I bought an aerobic pad (much cheaper than a Bowflex)!

Every time I feel like excercising, I lay down on that pad and take a nap until the feeling goes away!

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Jerry, when I bought mine I felt the same way; a lot of exercise equipment is usually used for a little while and then it becomes like work, so it gathers dust from a lack of use. I wasn't sure which one to buy, so I bought the least expensive model using the carbon rods which procuced a total of about 220 pounds. With it you can do about 50 different exercises and my cost was about $600; I got it locally at Denhams Sporting Goods. I have used it everyother day since I bought it except when I'm away at a shoot(or when I cheat and use it every day!) and look forward to using it. Presently I use it for upper body strength(arms, back, shoulders and neck) and can tell the difference in both my endurance and strength when hefting my 10 pound Ljutic shooting 300 rounds of events. There ARE many different models and the Bowflex Company(BTW, I don't work for them!) has all the models, payment plans, and may have some models which were traded back in so those owners could get the more expensive models. They do work and are easy on your muscles and joints; BUT I don't recommend then for Senior Vets, cause I need all the edge I can get! Biff

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Dixie, That's kinda how I looked! I toned myself almost to that degree and found my shotgun didn't fit me as well and after breaking several stocks and bending the barrels(not for the better!); with rehabilitation both mental and physical I'm back down to 185 pounds! You can get too much of a good thing going! Biff

PS: notice his trigger finger is normal, my finger was normal also; kept it in shape by pointing out others mistakes and telling them where to go!

21 - 30 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.