Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been spending the last few weeks re-reading my old issues of the American Shotgunner and one thing keeps coming to mind. What ever happened to this wonderful magazine and why can't we have another like it? I had high but disappointing hopes for the new Trapshooting USA magazine ,but despite its beautiful glossy pictures the void has yet to be filled. The articles such as The doubles guns of the top ten doubles shooters, interviews with the old greats like Vic Reinders, Britt Robinson, articles by Daro Handy, Kay Ohye, and Elgin Gates, gun dog articles, and bird hunting articles. I really didn't think we needed another magazine that covered the big shoots, Trap & Field does a wonderful job of that. But good informative articles are what I crave. My back issues of The American Shotgunner are among my prized possessions. Not so with my Trapshooting USA magazines which I usually donate to our gun club. I wish the people behind that magazine would get a copy and pattern their magazine after it instead of trying for the most part to be a glossier version of Trap & Field. I don't know how many times I've noticed where they didn't even get the names of the shooters in the pictures right. Just my thoughts and opinions and yes its probably true what they say about opinions. Just wondering what others think?

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Totally agree! I've got them all, great reference info also. Loved the reporting of European Flyers as well.

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
I am not sure from your post if you know that Bob passed a few years ago. He had been a poster here on trapshooters for a short time before his death. Great magazine is an understatement. Jeff

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Renewed my subscription to The American Shotgunner and apparently they had already decided to stop publication. Lost my renewal money.

·
Premium Member
1,789 Posts
As did I DoubleAuto.

However, that publication was the source that gave me the desire to start trapshooting. I could hardly wait for each new issue to come each month.

I even started my trapshooting career with a Remington 1100 Monte Carlo trap gun. That gun was what Elgin Gates shot that wrote the trapshooting column each issue. I surmised that to get good at trapshooting you needed to shoot a lot, and the 1100 reduced the recoil to allow me to that. I shot that gun good after I went to a release trigger.

Boy I miss that publication. It was so helpful with all the interviews, tests, and insite. Loved the Daro Handy's column also. Wish I had kept those old issues. What a wealth of information for the new shooter.

Tom Strunk

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Bob was also a great stock modifier. He worked on my k80 stock, bent the hell out of it and it has been like that for 18 years. Great guy, quite the character.

RW

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
SuperXJeff..I didn't know that he had passed. In the magazines I have from the 70's he doesn't look to be all that old so I thought he still may be alive. He sure knew how to put together a very interesting and informative magazine. Thanks for sharing...Moe

·
Registered
489 Posts
My father wrote a little article for this magazine. I was in my teens and I remember him and his wife or girlfriend I think it was Sue? Great Paper!

Roger

·
Registered
522 Posts
I was introduced to Bob at a Golden West Grand probably 20 years ago. I was a 27 yard shooter, and when he asked me how long I had been shooting, I told him 10 years......he said, "You haven't been shooting long enough." I didn't quite know how to take it at the time, but looking back, he was right.

I still have some issues of his mag....mostly ones with Ljutic articles....somewhere.

·
Premium Member
1,789 Posts
Grunt -

You are a smart man to have saved those copys of "American Shotguner" I wish I had done the same.

Hope all is well Dave.

Tom Strunk

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There's a lot of valuable information that can be gleaned from those old paper/magazines. I was going through some of them the other day and was surprised to read that Vic Reinders Model 31 had but only a 28" full choke barrel. I amuse myself by looking at the prices of guns and components of the early 70's. But then I think about what I made an hour back at that time and I guess it all works out about the same. Only difference is Uncle Sam got less from me back then.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Trapshooter USA, I cancelled some time ago ,,,not informative enough,suckedup to the big guns ,didn't report completely ,,MX9Dave

·
Registered
304 Posts
In the American Shotgunner Vol 7, shows the results for a Trap Shot at Elliot's Shooting Park.
It lists the money winners at the newly formed Tournament Trapshooters Association and I believe this shoot was held Sept.1979

1. Ron Pendleton $7,839.70 and at the 20-1/2 yd
2. Ray Stafford $5,811.30 and at 27 yd
3. Steve Carmichael $3,714.75 and at 27 yd
4. Richard Digby $2,627.10 and at 21 yd
5. Charles Nicosia $2,411.15 and at 22 yd
6. Leo Harrison III $2,42.95 Leo was at 27 yd
62. Marin Wilbur $5.10

1902 was the last Grand American Shoot at Live Pigeons.

Lot of good reading

Lew D. Boyko

·
Registered
3,641 Posts
MX8Dave, or MX9Dave, as you sign your correspondence, are you saying that Bob Thruston published Trapshooter USA? Are you referring to TrapshootingUSA? I have never heard of Trapshooter USA.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I wonder how much money the equivalent value of that $7,839.70 won by Ron Pendleton would be thirty-four years later in todays money? I'd bet money that the gun he used didn't cost nearly ten G's as so many of todays trap guns do. I think mx8Dave was referring to the fairly new magazine Trapshooting USA.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I also echoe mxdaves sentiments. I wont be renewing my subscription unless I see a change. Especially now that Leo won't be writing any more articles for the magazine (God bless his soul). A better job could be done, and I don't need another magazine featuring shoot results. The articles for the most part aren't that great and when they do a gun test , well it lack's quite a bit. I guess my hopes are that Mike Brunton ( publisher) see's this and starts working at making a better and more viable magazine. At least make sure when you publish someone's picture you get the name right! It just shows to me that they ( Trapshooting USA)are lackluster and are depending on their pretty glossy pictures to sell the magazine. That's not enough! It's to bad Bob Thruston isn't still alive, he sure could help them out. He seemed to have a better understanding of what we want to see. He definitely knew how to write a interview.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts