·
Premium Member
7,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
The club president asked for a team to do a benefit to raise funds for the club
I was shut down when I started to reply as they change the subject quickly
The president called me this morning my feelings about the meeting
I told him I would take the first step
At our state shoot I won a raffle winning a rifle that was used by another to benefit AIM
I sent out an email to the board being the first to add to the fund raiser
At least I am trying
I get to pick it up Monday after the hold
Drinkware Font Drink Electric blue Metal

Steve

·
Premium Member
7,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Well I am the new be
But I still do more than 98% of the other
I have the whole club in mind not just Trap
The other only Sporting clays
Steve

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
For a club to survive, there needs to be targets in the air. No matter what discipline they are thrown in. And all of the disciplines have to be supported equally.

These statements need to be agreed to by all board members before they become members.

·
Registered
205 Posts
For a club to survive, there needs to be targets in the air. No matter what discipline they are thrown in. And all of the disciplines have to be supported equally.

These statements need to be agreed to by all board members before they become members.
So right !!!!

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have seen where newbies show up, get onto the board all fired up and energetic, then get things changed to their agenda, fizzle out, dont help out, just make the changes and stop showing up. Have seen this cycle a few times at different clubs
What I have seen is new members get involved in their club, do jobs that older members don’t want to do anymore, recognize new ways to enhance the club’s success or survival, are shut down by older members afraid of change or who resent the ideas of a new member, the new guy realizes that nothing will change and becomes a customer. I’ve seen this pattern a lot in clubs.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Went through some issues this spring. Lost our club president to Covid19. I was Vice. I took over until our annual May meeting accordingly to our by laws. A close friend also a board member didn’t want me as president and was very open about it. The rest of the members did want me to be president. I was voted in to be president and he hasn’t come back since.
this Saturday we have our fundraiser shoot. It’s a great time. It’s a 5 man team event. This year will be 25 wobble trap, 25 five stand and 50 doubles using a trap bird and a chandall. I run this shoot for the past 12 years. Now He’s mad no one asked him to be on a team. Everyone assumed he was done coming to the club. Some people you just can’t figure out or make happy. To much 7th grade girl drama!!!
Maybe he will get over his butt hurt and come back, maybe not. Don't see it as a big loss.

·
Premium Member
7,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Maybe he will get over his butt hurt and come back, maybe not. Don't see it as a big loss.
I think having someone do this job for free and being expected to do so much with little help is over.
Unfortunately I am the only member of the board that isn't an active sporting clays shooter. They faint afford people for reg tournaments. Another club has all that.
I am working on ways to get them to help me draw shooters for trap.
Steve

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
I sat on a board for 16 years, and as a trapshooter I knew that when I walked into a board meeting my trap hat came off and tried to make decissions for the betterment of the club as a whole...One discipline should never rule over all the other disciplines of the club..

·
Premium Member
7,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I sat on a board for 16 years, and as a trapshooter I knew that when I walked into a board meeting my trap hat came off and tried to make decissions for the betterment of the club as a whole...One discipline should never rule over all the other disciplines of the club..
Duh
Totally agree

·
Registered
11,322 Posts
I have sat on multiple boards - public, private and non-profits and I will tell you they are all the same (almost).

The number one thing that your members MUST understand is that they are trustees of the facility and they have fiduciary responsibility.

If the board president does not hold a meeting describing what this means and what the responsibilities are then it will never change. From your description it has not been done and the members control/rule the board with their friendships and their agendas.

If I were you Steve I would put together a packet describing the roles and responsibilities of the members and have the president discuss it openly. You can always hire a company to hold a meeting as well. If things don't change I would walk away and not look back because the board is made up of the wrong people.

·
Premium Member
7,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I have sat on multiple boards - public, private and non-profits and I will tell you they are all the same (almost).

The number one thing that your members MUST understand is that they are trustees of the facility and they have fiduciary responsibility.

If the board president does not hold a meeting describing what this means and what the responsibilities are then it will never change. From your description it has not been done and the members control/rule the board with their friendships and their agendas.

If I were you Steve I would put together a packet describing the roles and responsibilities of the members and have the president discuss it openly. You can always hire a company to hold a meeting as well. If things don't change I would walk away and not look back because the board is made up of the wrong people.
We already did that. Great advice.thanks.
I hope I can get them together on honoring a youth shooter that at age 18 her first year shooting is kicking butt. She leaves from the Grand Saturday on her way to college.
Thanksgiving we will have the club ready for a celebration of her first year .
I will make it happen
It's a start.
Steve

·
Registered
11,322 Posts
We already did that. Great advice.thanks.
I hope I can get them together on honoring a youth shooter that at age 18 her first year shooting is kicking butt. She leaves from the Grand Saturday on her way to college.
Thanksgiving we will have the club ready for a celebration of her first year .
I will make it happen
It's a start.
Steve
Remember, you are there to make the place better, not to make friends.

But also on the flip side you have to watch what you do so you are not the problem.

·
Premium Member
7,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Remember, you are there to make the place better, not to make friends.

But also on the flip side you have to watch what you do so you are not the problem.
Looks like I was able to broker Skeet tournaments at the club. The last president two years ago told the skeet groups to go ??? . Now they are ready to start up again. With a few phones calls it was worked out. X your fingers.
The new Sporting Clays fields layout are looking to be a Successful change. Troy and others did a great job.

So nice to have harmony even if it is brief.
Steve

·
Registered
11,322 Posts
Looks like I was able to broker Skeet tournaments at the club. The last president two years ago told the skeet groups to go ??? . Now they are ready to start up again. With a few phones calls it was worked out. X your fingers.
The new Sporting Clays fields layout are looking to be a Successful change. Troy and others did a great job.

So nice to have harmony even if it is brief.
Steve
Great job Steve.

Now gather up two skeet guys, two sporting guys, and you and another trap guy and you have a well balanced board.

No railroad jobs - three different sports all working for the betterment of the facility.

·
Premium Member
7,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 · (Edited)
Great job Steve.

Now gather up two skeet guys, two sporting guys, and you and another trap guy and you have a well balanced board.

No railroad jobs - three different sports all working for the betterment of the facility.
Sounds good
1 step at a time.
I will get it going
The Skeet gang were the first to come to my aide with advice and physical help. Wednesday
we hang out at the club. A few veteran Sporting clay guys also.
Thanks
Steve

·
Premium Member
7,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
I forget to mention that the Skeet guys were my scores and trap machines loaders at the last big fifty.
Great morale support
Steve

21 - 40 of 42 Posts