Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two more Sporting Clay shooters quit tonight. One repairs all their machines , Club supplies parts he makes them work. The fight was over new setting of Clay's fields. That makes 3 in the last two mounth. The last club President lasted about 5 months.
They have no registered shoots. Makes money on benefits.
Thank god Trap and Skeet work for the whole club. Skeet allows them to borrow 2 fields that are used for tournaments.
How do you get people to work on the goal of making the whole club better?
Will relax at the beach tomorrow.
I would love to say not my problem but it was my decision to get on the Board
Steve

·
6,216 Posts
Running a Club is not for the the thin skinned. You determine a mission, make goals and stick to them.

What the hell got the machine mechanic bent out of shape... You've got.to fix that or hire a 3rd party who doesn't give a damn about your Club's politics...

If you've got problematic members and/or board members - get rid of them for the long term good of the Club.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Went through some issues this spring. Lost our club president to Covid19. I was Vice. I took over until our annual May meeting accordingly to our by laws. A close friend also a board member didn’t want me as president and was very open about it. The rest of the members did want me to be president. I was voted in to be president and he hasn’t come back since.
this Saturday we have our fundraiser shoot. It’s a great time. It’s a 5 man team event. This year will be 25 wobble trap, 25 five stand and 50 doubles using a trap bird and a chandall. I run this shoot for the past 12 years. Now He’s mad no one asked him to be on a team. Everyone assumed he was done coming to the club. Some people you just can’t figure out or make happy. To much 7th grade girl drama!!!

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
anonymous voting.suggestion boxes.
shooting/guns attracts some quirky particulary colorful characters not all clique together.
some like to have their mini power grab.
its a waste of time if you dont feel your vision is being accepted.
some are just weirdos.
with anonymous voting you cant tie the face to the vote,its take it or leave it.

·
Registered
143 Posts
We have become such a culture of whiney, wimpy, sniffling, little "you hurt my feelings" crybabies, not just about this but frigg'n America - dang embarrassing is what it is. There is a boo-hoo card for anything imaginable nowadays and it bleeds over to things like this, and folks don't even realize they can look as pitiful as the political crap on TV. So many of the judges we have in our court system today should be in jail or at least in a baby crib themselves. "they are so compassionate" though. Well, they have created a bunch of big baby pouters, they run and hide or want to make headlines and sue somebody so they can sit on their lazy Keesters. Sorry - I am sure this is not what the op intended, or the other responders were getting to.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
I've been on several boards......even director for 25 of 37 years on our ambulance board.....
Power and prestige top the list.....
My way, or NO WAY is a sometime problem....
Sometimes....the tail tries to WAG THE DOG......
And I'm getting to old for this high-school drama....
My advise....be in control, be firm, let the board members have their say then back up their idea, go with the majority if possible-------but------ always have an "out" if necessary.........and it doesn't hurt to call someone's hand (harshly only if necessary).......a lost asshole pays, it doesn't cost and the group is healthier!!!!.......m

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
In this day and times a club faces enough adversity as it is. It may be time for a come to Jesus meeting and let all party's know all oars need to be in the water pulling the same direction. Trap, skeet and sporting can have problems at times but they need to work it out and keep the club going! A local club set up a pistol and rifle range. Those type of memberships grew to the point they took the board over and now shotgun shooters are treated like crap. Quit having registered shoots and could care less about it. It's a bad situation.

·
Premium Member
7,693 Posts
Two more Sporting Clay shooters quit tonight. One repairs all their machines , Club supplies parts he makes them work. The fight was over new setting of Clay's fields. That makes 3 in the last two mounth. The last club President lasted about 5 months.
They have no registered shoots. Makes money on benefits.
Thank god Trap and Skeet work for the whole club. Skeet allows them to borrow 2 fields that are used for tournaments.
How do you get people to work on the goal of making the whole club better?
Will relax at the beach tomorrow.
I would love to say not my problem but it was my decision to get on the Board
Steve
There will always be outliers on any board that seem to get their feelings hurt over almost anything and then try to cause friction.

To much self importance in this country anymore.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Our local club is a wonderful place to spend recreational time. As nice as us volunteers keep the grounds, maintain the traps and keep everything painted the politics always rear its head at the monthly board meeting. It's always the same group who want a discount or some perk that only benefits them and doesn't help the overall health of the club. There are several members who are tired of the same group campaigning for a "deal or discount" for their group at every meeting. We have a member of the advisory board who is a very successful businessman and he explains how everyone needs to pay the fees set by the board to make the club function. Unfortunately by the next meeting it's the same old thing again.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Usually there is one, or more, small minded people with no imagination at the core of the problem. This is frequently compounded by big egos that have never reached the success in life they assumed they were entitled to. The position or title for those people becomes greater than the good of the club as they want to dictate what everyone can do. Never look for collaboration from the small minded people of the world. They can’t see beyond their own limited horizon.

·
Registered
580 Posts
We have become such a culture of whiney, wimpy, sniffling, little "you hurt my feelings" crybabies, not just about this but frigg'n America - dang embarrassing is what it is. There is a boo-hoo card for anything imaginable nowadays and it bleeds over to things like this, and folks don't even realize they can look as pitiful as the political crap on TV. So many of the judges we have in our court system today should be in jail or at least in a baby crib themselves. "they are so compassionate" though. Well, they have created a bunch of big baby pouters, they run and hide or want to make headlines and sue somebody so they can sit on their lazy Keesters. Sorry - I am sure this is not what the op intended, or the other responders were getting to.
Typical of today's society.

·
6,216 Posts
Went through some issues this spring. Lost our club president to Covid19. I was Vice. I took over until our annual May meeting accordingly to our by laws. A close friend also a board member didn’t want me as president and was very open about it. The rest of the members did want me to be president. I was voted in to be president and he hasn’t come back since...
Uh... How close a friend could this guy be, unless he wanted it for himself... sometimes friends are purely situational...

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
A close friend of 35 years that for some reason threw it all away. He didn’t want the position. He wanted a member that had been there less than a year to take the position. We have both been on the board for 11 years. His end has the issue not mine

1 - 20 of 42 Posts