Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at a rifle & the owner says it has been blueprinted & tuned. What does that mean or does it mean anything? Thanks

·
Premium Member
12,605 Posts
Think of a high performance engine - it would be 'balanced and blueprinted.'

Stripped down, gone over stem to stern and re-machined so it was as close to factory "perfect" as possible. Same concept for a rifle.

'Blueprinted' would mean re-machining to be as close to factory perfect as possible.
'Tuned' would imply it had been 'tweaked' and adjusted to to give the best accuracy, even beyond the blueprinting.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
If it’s a Rem 700 for example the procedure would be to remove barrel and do whatever you want with it. The receiver would be setup in a fixture in a lathe so that the centerline of receiver bolt raceway is concentric and parallel with axis of lathe. The receiver face would be skimmed for cleanup then the tenon threads in receiver are picked up with single point internal threading tool and the threads would be recut so you get a 100% cleanup. After this a tool is setup to go inside front of receiver to machine a cleanup where the bolt lugs makes contact with receiver when in battery. This area is called lug abutments. After this work is finished the receiver can be removed from fixture. The bolt would be next which I won’t go into detail but the bolt handle must be removed by unsoldering to retime and rebraze. I have done dozens over the years, and people are better off buying a aftermarket receiver & bolt that start around $875 on up. There’s over 1/2 dozen different CO’s to choose from. If your going to rework a Rem 700 for just playing around at the range that’s OK, If you want a rifle to compete in many of the rifle sports other then factory class your wasting your money. Remington really went down hill in the past 10 years on production of 700 receivers. I had once recently that was .005 out of round and .007 tapered one the outside diameter. If someone says his rifle is trued & tuned whatever the hell that means it’s only hearsay. You tune a barrel with a tuner or you tune a specific load for the rifle.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
These are the tools required to setup a Remington type round receiver. The fixture is setup in a lathe and the receiver is installed in this fixture I made with 8 jack set screws with brass inserts so the receiver is not marred. A mandrel with the correct bushing to fit the receiver raceway are installed, the mandrel which is 1/2” dia is placed in the bushings then indicate in 2 axis by adjusting the set screws. The extra set of threaded holes with no screws in them are for long 700 actions. P.S. when your done truing you still have a sloppy factory bolt, you can replace with a 1 piece bolt made by 2 different Co. That you can specify what bolt body diameter you want and they go for approx $300+ and you can get a AR-15 or Sako extractor to replace the crappy Rem designed extractor. Save your money and buy a custom receiver and you have the best to build on. Stiller makes the receivers for the new marine sniper rifles.
58C583C0-175F-459E-AAE5-712FAAB5EE79.jpeg

·
Banned
42 Posts
I have found over the years bluprinting Remington actions that the early 721 and 722 actions make the 700 actions look really bad. The machining, fit and finish are well and above the 700's just don't use the triggers!!!

·
Registered
10,214 Posts
I'm looking at a rifle & the owner says it has been blueprinted & tuned. What does that mean or does it mean anything? Thanks
Do your research on what processes comprise a "blueprinted" receiver then ask the seller specific questions on what exactly was done and who blueprinted the receiver. If you can't get straight forward replies then walk away. If you get a name take the time to contact the gunsmith with the serial number of the receiver. In this day and age most Remington receivers are touted as being "blueprinted" with the accompanying jacked up price.
Trust but verify, do your homework!

Reactions: Doc!

·
Premium Member
3,164 Posts
I have found over the years bluprinting Remington actions that the early 721 and 722 actions make the 700 actions look really bad. The machining, fit and finish are well and above the 700's just don't use the triggers!!!
Based only on my experience - you are correct about the 722 and 721 Rem actions --

1 - 10 of 10 Posts