Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a water leak and had a barrel in factory cardboard get wet. Well box was set of to the side and forgot about. I now have a barrel with blueing gone about 2-3” up at the end. Some pitting also. Choke came out and inside looks good. What are my option of repair if any. Rem. 1100lt barrel.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Have it reblued. The pits may not all polish out if they are to deep but will be safe to use. Check your homeowners insurance the water damage may be covered.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Do you know ballpark cost to have it reblued?
If it was a K or P gun it would be worth professional reblueing, but a 1100 barrel ??? Glenrock has a price listed for a single barrel, lowest price at $325 - If it was me. I check out midway videos and do it your self -They have some great cold bluing product out there. won't be prefect. but a lot better than you have now

·
Registered
311 Posts
Ahlman's in Morristown Mn. single barrel only is $125.

Ahlman's Metal Finishing

As mentioned it will depend on how deep the pitting is though if you want the pits all gone. They also do coating and plating but would need the whole gun to look right and quite a bit more money.

There can and usually is some variations in bluing colors so if it was a gun that I really cared about would have the complete gun done. Which is $190. Although if your 1100 is a LT it has the non steel trigger guard assembly and takes it up to $220 for a full bluing job.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
A ball park is 125 and up.

The polish can lead to an incredible contrast in look between the barrel and action. So can age and use.

That polish can either almost hide the pits or make them stand out like a neon sign. That is polishing lines going in one direction can work to blend the pits in while lines in another direction make the pits show brightly.

Al

1 - 8 of 8 Posts