Trapshooters Forum banner
41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
The confederate flag is part of southern heritage and culture and there is nothing wrong in displaying it. I doubt you will have anyone at the Grand American that will be offended because it is displayed during the blue-gray event but if they are, so what? I say let them be offended. It's about time that people stop apologizing for saying or doing something that doesn't agree with the far left's viewpoint. The real prejudice is expressed by the flag haters, not by the ones displaying it.

·
Registered
3,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Back in my days as news writer for our local newspaper, I did a series of articles on the Civil War in our county (Monroe County, in mid Missouri). I had access to copies of all the old newspapers published just shortly after the war so I condensed and published a "chapter" each week. In our area, it was common for families to have one son fighting for each side, so a signal was always decided in advance of their visits back home. Usually a flag tied to the picket fence that most farm houses had around the yard would warn the opposing brother that "the other brother" was in residence. Missouri may have been officially a part of the Union, but there were just as many Confederates living there.
When I lived in south Arkansas back in the mid 1980's, I attended a meeting of the Daughters of the American Revolution (I'm a member.) The little blue haired ladies who were regular members, were still fighting the Civil War. I was new to town so I tried to take part in the discussions, until I was told point blank, "To keep my Yankee opinion to myself". How funny to see that it is really true, Location, Location, Location!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Missouri never split and neither did Kentucky, while they may have had a BS Johnny Reb' govt MO, and KY did not formally split, Only LA, and TN were conquered and added back to the Union. While I am not an Obama supporter or liberal, I do know that the flags of the following countries were all enemies at one point: British, Tripoli, Mexican, Confederate, Spanish, German, Italian, North Korea, North Vietnam, Iraq, and countless others.... You may as well defend them all because the confederate flag was the most disgraceful of them all.... The North won and that's it.. If you want to fly the Rebel Flag do so but let's not pretend it's some sign of southern culture as the south has so much more to offer especially in the great officers it has provided to our military besides the Civil War. And it's Emancipation not Imancipation... And mercenary soldiers??? Really? The South used slaves, and the backing of English monies, and Irish immigrants as much as the North. Again, the South lost! Get over it! I hope you wave you Confederate flag right next to your German, and British flags.
Old Glory Rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
530 Posts
Judson may be a libertard, but he is correct. So let's take politics out and clarify some of the basic history about the Confederate Battle Flag, more accurately known as the Battle Flag of Northern Virginia:

"The flag has no meaning "regardless" of politics, or above politics; its heritage is not exempt from history. Anyone can interpret anything any way they want, but if they claim historical sanction for their interpretation, then they'd best be accurate. And in that sense, history is clear: There is no revolutionary cause associated with the flag, other than the right for Southern states to determine how best to subjugate black people and to perpetuate slavery.

First sewn in 1861 — there were about 120 created for the war — the flag was flown by the cavalry of P.G.T. Beauregard, the Confederacy's first duly appointed general, after he took Manassas, Virginia, in the first Battle of Bull Run.

After the Civil War, the flag saw limited (and quite appropriate) use at first: It commemorated the sons of the South who died during the war. We can easily forgive the families of those who died for grieving. No account of the Civil War can be complete without noting how vicious the Union army could be, and how destructive its strategy toward the end of the war had become. That the cause of the war, once the damned Union army actually invaded the South and started destroying it, came to be associated with an actual, guns-out defense of real property and liberties — mainly, the liberty not to die during a war — is not controversial. That's what happens during wars.

But never did the flag represent some amorphous concept of Southern heritage, or Southern pride, or a legacy that somehow includes everything good anyone ever did south of the Mason-Dixon line, slavery excluded.

Fast-forward about 100 years, past thousands of lynchings in the South, past Jim Crow and Plessy v. Ferguson, past the state-sanctioned economic and political subjugation of black people, and beyond the New Deal that all too often gave privileges to the white working class to the specific exclusion of black people.

In 1948, Strom Thurmond's States' Rights Party adopted the Battle Flag of Northern Virginia as a symbol of defiance against the federal government. What precisely required such defiance? The president's powers to enforce civil rights laws in the South, as represented by the Democratic Party's somewhat progressive platform on civil rights.

Georgia adopted its version of the flag design in 1956 to protest the Supreme Court's ruling against segregated schools, in Brown v. Board of Education.

The flag first flew over the state capitol in South Carolina in 1962, a year after George Wallace raised it over the grounds of the legislature in Alabama, quite specifically to link more aggressive efforts to integrate the South with the trigger of secession 100 years before — namely, the storming of occupied Fort Sumter by federal troops. Fort Sumter, you might recall, is located at the mouth of Charleston Harbor.

Opposition to civil rights legislation, to integration, to miscegenation, to social equality for black people — these are the major plot points that make up the flag's recent history. Not Vietnam. Not opposition to Northern culture or values. Not tourism. Not ObamaCare. Not anything else.

There's only one uncontrived association that's a step removed from racial subjugation, and it's the initial post-war use of the flag: to celebrate the victories of the Confederate army and to mourn those who died while fighting in the Civil War. But today, 150 years later, such flags are best and most appropriate displayed in museums and at cemeteries.

It should not be controversial IMO to say that people should not spend their days mourning relatives they never knew from a war that ended 150 years ago, especially if that feeling is so paramount that it outweighs the sense of brotherhood they might feel toward fellow humans who are alive, and for whom the flag's presence and endorsement by the government is the personification of the evil of white supremacy."

·
Registered
11,050 Posts
Missouri never split and neither did Kentucky, while they may have had a BS Johnny Reb' govt MO, and KY did not formally split, Only LA, and TN were conquered and added back to the Union. While I am not an Obama supporter or liberal, I do know that the flags of the following countries were all enemies at one point: British, Tripoli, Mexican, Confederate, Spanish, German, Italian, North Korea, North Vietnam, Iraq, and countless others.... You may as well defend them all because the confederate flag was the most disgraceful of them all.... The North won and that's it.. If you want to fly the Rebel Flag do so but let's not pretend it's some sign of southern culture as the south has so much more to offer especially in the great officers it has provided to our military besides the Civil War. And it's Emancipation not Imancipation... And mercenary soldiers??? Really? The South used slaves, and the backing of English monies, and Irish immigrants as much as the North. Again, the South lost! Get over it! I hope you wave you Confederate flag right next to your German, and British flags.
Old Glory Rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Well my spell check didn't catch it Too bad! I was born and raised in KY a few miles from the Birth place of Jefferson Davis and I guarantee I know Ky. History a Hell of a lot more than YOU do! You can call the Confederate Governments in Mo. and KY. what you like but they SURE AS HELL did exist and your arrogant opinion of them will NOT change that! The fact is KY was far more loyal to the south regardless of which OFFICAL government was recognized ( Beside the fact NONE of the CSA ones were) and Ky. was fought over heavily in several battles early in the war ! BTW I have ancestors who fought on BOTH sides during the Civil War and ALSO who have served in the U.S. Military in every war since WWI and I served under the US Flag for 24-1/2 half years , during 2 wars and would defend it to the death today! So you can take your smug, Holier than thou attitude and stick it where the sun doesn't shine! What people like you will NEVER admit is that Slavery was a part of the NORTH also! History is History and your DENIAL of it won't CHANGE it! Of course it is "convenient" to ignore the fact that MANY of the founding fathers were slave holders and slavery existed under the Federal Government for 85 YEARS before the Civil War! Yes Slavery is WRONG and I will NEVER deny that but, I get sick and tired of some arrogant Yankees having SELECTIVE outrage and denying the North's part in it! Like I said before, there were states that were allowed to keep slaves until AFTER the war as a payment for loyalty to the Northern cause! By the way, ILL. along with a couple of other border states with Ky. couldn't own slaves but they COULD" lease" them from KY. which they did! There was an old ferry near my home in Ky. and the Ferry Master made a good living ferrying them across the OHIO River to work in the Salt mines in southern ILL in Hardin Co.! Also Lincoln had a plan to buy the slaves from the south and deport them but, it was considered to costly! Yes, the North used Immigrant mercenary soldiers to a GREAT extent and had large units made up of them entirely! The North paid them bonuses and promised them land in the south after the war, while the southern soldiers basically fought for free because the Confederate money was worthless! As far as the stories about the Union leading the Black soldiers to fight for their freedom,That was mostly Hog Wash! The North used them mostly for cannon fodder to hold their regular units in reserve! The Southern Officers , especially the Generals, were by and large far more honorable men than those of the Union. Sherman was a bloody butcher and war criminal who would have been court martialed in any other conflict! He went on to the Indian wars after the Civil War and made a name for himself breaking Indian treaties and murdering scores of Indian women and children! You, like so many, have your own twisted "selective" version of the Civil War and no facts will ever change your mind! For all I care you can go join Al Sharpton and his GOONS and go protest the Flag all you want! The truth is you never had any "outrage" about a Confederate Flag on a car on a TV show or over a war memorial until the liberals LED you do so!!! YES The Civil war IS over and the North won but, that's not good enough for YOU.! No! You and your ilk will get all POed about someone honoring their dead ancestors and throw a HISSIE fit about seeing a Confederate Flag! There was enough wrong on both sides but, I don't two hoots in Hell about YOU or your opinion of the South. If you live up north Great! STAY THERE! You won't have to worry about seeing a Confederate Flag and it's a sure bet Nobody in the South is going to miss you!

·
Registered
11,050 Posts
Judson, tell you what. We'll call it a truce and have a civil debate in person! I think you may find we southerners are not as bad as you think! If I see you at the Grand This Johnny Reb will buy a Yankee a drink ! Shoot well!

41 - 48 of 48 Posts