Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OVER THE LAST 50 YEARS OR SO,THE SUBJECT OF BLOWN PATTERNS COMES UP.(shot gun shooting) DON'T RELOAD A SHELL TOO HOT OR FAST,YOU WILL BLOW YOUR PATTERN. IF THIS CONDITION EXISTS,WHY DO THE MANUFACTURES LOAD ULTRA FAST SHELLS. BUNKER LOADS,INTERNATIONAL TRAP,SUPER PHESANT @ 1400 FPS ARE ULTRA FAST,DO THEY MESS UP YOUR PATTERN? HAS ANY RESEARCH BEEN CONFIRMED ONE WAY OR THE OTHER? JUST CURIOUS. I KNOW THERE ARE EXPERTS ON EVERY SUBJECT OUT THERE. CLYDE D

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
I guess it would also consider what you call a blown pattern. I think it is a very real possiblity.

Matt

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
mrskeet--No he denied. Remember. He did not have sexual relations with that woman. He gave her Jewelery i guess. She said he gave her a Pearl Necklace. :)

Matt

·
Registered
10,782 Posts
Chilled shot of yesteryear is a far cry from the higher antimony shot available today. Before harder shot was available to reloaders, yes, you could have a blown pattern with higher velocities! One of the reasons the Arnold Riegger was so successful with his 2-3/4 dr loads.

Hap

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Skeet shooters during the paper hull, fiber wad era thought they would get 'blown patters'. Their solution was to hang a Cutts Compensator on the end of their skeet guns.

Sounds like you need a Cutts.

·
Registered
10,458 Posts
This thread would have surely had a comment by the late Pat Ireland if he were with us. I miss some of his wisdom and wit

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Hap, why would cilled shot result in a "blown pattern" ?? Ok, you will probably say deformed shot. What is the difference between a blown pattern and a non blown pattern? I shoot a lot of homemade shot. It isn't round so I will call it deformed. Maybe all of my patterns are "blown" and I don't know the difference.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
The conventional wisdom regarding 'blown patterns' in the Cutts era was that gas would leak around the flat over-powder wads and leak into the the shot column. According to theory, that would wreak havoc on the shot column and pattern.

A Cutts would allow that gas to bleed off as the shot column entered the Cutts, then the "blown" shot column would be rechoked as it went through the choke. So said the theory.

·
Registered
10,782 Posts
Jerry, deformed shot is different acting than flat sided shot. Deformed shot will act somewhat as Hevi-Shot and the heavier end will lead the way once in the air. Flat sided shot can't cut through the air nearly as well as round and will veer or curve more so. This isn't too hard to test but most never test anything close to enough to come to logical conclusions on what may be best or blown.

In my testing, blown patterns were the results of soft shot and high velocities. We can't compare the logistics of Hevi-Shot to lead either because of the weight differences between the two. Hevi-Shot with all it's misshaped so called pellets will pattern better than lead! It's somewhat like your malformed lead pellets, the heavy end will lead the way. I did most of my high velocity testing with healthy doses of 4756 powders.

Hap

·
Registered
10,782 Posts
Jerry, depends on the velocity but it's much wider than an acceptable full choke pattern. I've shot some out of a model 12 full that looked like an imp cyl choke might look at 40 yards.

Hap

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Hap, are you talking about patterns shot with fiber wads? With modern plastic wads that doesn't really seem possible, even with soft shot.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.