Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts
Used a black tallon in 44mag while deer hunting. Dont under stand why, but hit deer just behind shoulder blade, made 1/2" hole going in and 1/2" hole comming out. Had to track that thing a ways, I'll just stick to hollow-points from now on. That self defense ammo just didn't do much for me

Bob

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
If it doesn't open up on a deer......

My experience with 44 mag on deer is that no bullet I've used really expands out of a revolver. I used Sierra JHCs and the exit hole was similar to the entrance.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Wasn't the black tallon designed to penetrate kevlar vests, etc and that is why they were taken off the market for other than law enforcement?

·
Registered
525 Posts
No on the vest, they were jacketed hollow points, the jacket peeled back with really nice hooks or barbs...great idea, just bad name and oversell, and then when they went off the market, the mystique took over...Grubby

·
Registered
282 Posts
The story I heard about Black Talons being removed from the market was that the American Medical Association complained loudly about them. Apparently they are so sharp that the E.R. docs were getting cut through their gloves while attempting to remove the shrapnel from wounds caused by Black Talon ammo.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Mash on the link for the complete article. Jim

The Black Talon bullet is a jacketed hollow-point bullet with perforations designed to expand sharp edges upon impact.[1] The bullet included a Lubalox (a proprietary oxide process,[2] though widely misreported to be Teflon, molybdenum disulfide, or wax) coating, giving it an unusual black appearance compared to copper-jacketed or lead bullets. The Lubalox coating was to protect the barrel rifling, and did not give the bullet armor-piercing capabilities. This coating in fact is still widely used on many of Winchester's rifle bullets today.[3] The bullet also had a unique appearance with a star shaped perforation on the black tip, giving it the nickname Starpoint.

The bullet was designed in 1991 under the supervision of Alan Corzine, who at that time was VP of research and development for Winchester.[4] The round became well known amongst shooters, law enforcement, and dealers as a very effective bullet. Col Leonard J. Supenski of the Baltimore County police department said "It has the stopping power that police officers need and it is less likely to ricochet or go through the bad guy."[1]

·
Registered
523 Posts
At $50 per box I can probably scratch up a few boxes. The winchester rangers are almost identical except the color. If I'm not mistaken the same guy who developed the talon also came up with the golden sabre. Not sure.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.