Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,449 Posts
I use a rose colored lens for that (in DECOT), but I have tried a strange, dark green one (borrowed from a friend who wears Rangers) that really made the orange POP.

Try different lenses until you find the correct one for you. The vendors at the larger shoots are really nice about letting you take a look at the targets.

·
Registered
352 Posts
That's easy - lets ban those darn black rim "New York" targets and break them all in transit -- maybe we can make a rule that they have to be shipped FedEx - that should do it 0-0---- the beav

·
Banned
7,659 Posts
Black rim targets are fine,you can really tell the face presentation of the targets thrown, I use Desert Glow (Post 4) when I shoot at them, just ordered a set of Rangers with CMT lenses---should make the targets really pop.

Lou

·
Registered
358 Posts
That was the situation where I shoot league... The color recommended by Decot was VLite... (purple/pink..) I do like them... I went with a mid range shade, as I would agree with the statement above about using as light as possible before squinting... I like them on our pine tree/hardwoods background... The work pretty well for me too with a sky background....

LWL

·
Registered
9,529 Posts
Black rim targets are excellent against a sky background. Against other backgrounds, there are better target colors to use.

Pat Ireland

·
Registered
667 Posts
OK. How about all orange targets with a snow on the ground background and a bleak grey sky? That is what our club is throwing and no one can hit them. They just streak. Ideas?

·
Banned
4,288 Posts
The black rim is NOT what you should be looking at to enhance on a orange dome-black rim target. The "contrast" of the two colors [ orange and black ] will always be there. What you should be doing is finding the lens color that will dull the backround and enhance the orange on the target. This is the correct way to find the BEST lens for you. The orange dome black rim target is the BEST out there to shoot at. Get your lens dialed in and do not look back.

GS

·
Registered
9,529 Posts
kolar12- I shot against a snow background once. I don't think any target color would work well. So much glare from the snow.

Pat Ireland

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
For me the purple/pink seems the best. I find however this color combo works well with alot of target presentations.

kolar12, the all orange target gives a deceptive streak in the best of conditions. I can't imagine why a club would throw this color against an all white background! Well I guess there is one reason!!!

·
Banned
10,106 Posts
Frank Little always said that black rimmed targets statistically produced higher scores. Since he missed so few in his long career how would he know!!

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
I have shot my best scores ever on a bright sunny day with all orange White Flyers against a green grass or green tree background. IMHO a solid black no paint target is easier to see on gray sky snow covered backgrounds.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.