Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody have problems when shooting black rim targets.The last couple years I have had lower scores when shooting the black rim targets. I'am always shooting over the top. I don't know if they seem faster. When shooting full orange targets my average goes up.

·
Registered
142 Posts
There are six local clubs in the area where a lot of us shoot. Three of the clubs have a rather close, dark background of trees and three have an open sky background. We have tried both black rim and all orange at all six clubs. The scores at the clubs with a close, dark background are always higher with all orange targets and the scores at the clubs with an open sky background are always higher with black rim targets. Almost all of the experienced shooters agree that the style of targets can make quite a big difference depending on the background and light conditions. Having scored thousands of rounds at all of these clubs I have seen the difference many times.

·
Registered
823 Posts
After shooting all-orange targets, the black rim type may give an optical illusion for some folks. The black rim type looks a little farther away and sometimes faster. The background is a factor.

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
Black rim targets are often champion brand.

Champion targets are made of concrete or some other unbreakable material.

Bill

·
Registered
518 Posts
Now our club is using all orange targets. We will be going to orange dome targets. The very top is orange and the other half is black. We did shoot New York style target 3/4 orange very bottom black. I like the orange dome target best against the different back grounds and cloud patterns. I can concentrate better of the black leading edge of the target against green trees and then grey sky. I believe age and backgrounds play a great deal in what targets we like best.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
I personally think it is easier to lock onto a black rimmed target, most clubs we shoot at have sky background. An all orange target seems to glow and not have finite definition. Most folks I shoot with prefer black rimmed targets.The Montana State team captain prefers black rimmed targets and he has the highest average in Mondamtana 2 years in a row. Seems like it is harder to get a lock on a glowing all orange target. YMMV. Scott

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
The first target I ever shot was black rimmed. Everywhere I shoot in my area only shoot black rimmed targets so that's all we know. Seems to work for me but that's all I ever have known.

·
Banned
9,042 Posts
Any time the skyline is involved, to me, you have to have black rimed targets.

·
Premium Member
11,722 Posts
Wish we could get them where I shoot. Always, all orange here.

·
Banned
7,659 Posts
orange targets are favored by clubs that have combo fields, this way they keep the skeeters happy. I wish more clubs would go to NY style targets instead of orange dome.

Phil Berkowitz

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Wish we could get black rimed targets but they are not available for Olympic shooting. We proved years ago that scores are higher with black rimmed targets.

T

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
I find that the all orange target is fuzzy, especially in bright sunlight. My personal preference is the 3/4 NY style target. The black ring gives it definition (gets rid of the fuzz) and the extra orange paint makes it easier to see than the orange dome. Bill Malcolm

·
Registered
951 Posts
Slayer. All the big target players make orange dome targets (black rimmed). Just because they are orange dome don't make them Champion.

Up around here in Wi. I think most clubs use the solid orange so they can through them at night. That way they don't have to change over to white. With the new type of machines that hold 500 plus targets they fell it takes too much time to change over. I know there are ways to get around that but that is what I have been told.

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
I have a marked preference for Orange Dome Targets. NY Targets look almost the same as all Orange to me. All Orange are the WORST unless you have a solid green background and the target never reaches the skyline.

·
Registered
3,621 Posts
Solid orange, unless you have an all sky background. My old eyes can't seem to pick out the dark rimmed ones against a tree or other dark background. Changing from trees\anything dark I sometimes can't see them until they get up in the lighter sky. Ross Puls

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
I don't like them under low light conditions and they seem to have a smaller size appearance. I just try to not let that get into my head and play games.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts