Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it seems that not all of my childhood curiosity has been quenched. Over several evenings, I built myself a miniature Signal Cannon in my shop. It is designed to shoot BB's with Black Powder being the propellant. The barrel bore is .177" and is 1.5" long inside.

My question is, how many grains of Black Powder do you think I should start with? I'm thinking the capacity is not enough where as I could get a dangerous amount in there but I was hoping for a starting point. I thought maybe some of you who like to experiment may have an idea.

image.jpg

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
I shoot BP quite a bit - That's a big touch hole - how your setting it off?

Reactions: grntitan

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Was gonna use the green cannon wick. I have a larger .45 caliber cannon and figured I could use the same wick and same wick hole size as it. Believe me, that part of the project was one I was most unsure. I pretty much winged the whole little project meaning no plans. No guarantees it will work. I have a quite a few hours of lathe time in that little brass barrel. I suppose if it doesn't work, I can spin out another one with changes.

Any idea what I should try?

Better pic of the barrel image.jpg

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
These guys http://www.pocketartillery.com

say 2 grains or less of FFFg.

http://www.pocketartillery.com/minicannon.pdf

The other way to determine it would be to put your fuze in, fill the bore with powder, dump it back out and measure how much that was, then use maybe one-quarter of that to start with.
Good ideas. Thanks V10. That helps a bunch. My gut and experience with my other cannon was saying about 3-4 grains. Since they say 2 grains, that will be an excellent starting point. I'll get some video of it later when I test it.

Hopefully I won't shoot my eye out.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
I'd go 60 of Green Dot. The color green is a little slower than red. And tamp it real good. About 60 pounds of pressure ought to do it.

·
Premium Member
4,712 Posts
Grntitan to quote John Coffee (same as the drink , but not spelled the same)...CAREFUL...CAREFUL .

Reactions: grntitan

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So far, I have tested it up to 4.5 grains of Black Powder. It zings the BB out which so far has penetrated both sides of a 12pk box(no I didn't drink all the beer while testing :) ). It isn't real eventful when it shoots as frankly 4.5 grains isn't much powder in a cannon.

Here is a test at 3.5 grains. Remember, the whole thing easily fits in the palm of your hand.

·
Registered
595 Posts
My first reaction was a smile and chuckle, then I thought my old Rott makes more noise than if he eats the wrong thing he he. Pretty neat, I like it.

Rick

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You need to bore it out to about .45 or .50.
Well, I actually have a .45 caliber cannon as well. That is whole different story.
Here it is next to the above mini cannon.
image.jpg

I got a little too carried away with the powder as can be seen below. I've already been scolded on just how dangerous this was. Just watch.

A little too much powder.

·
Registered
22,742 Posts
Lightweights, all of you. We launch those little 5 oz V-8 juice cans filled with concrete about 3/4 mile.

:1::022::022::022:
HeH. Steel ball bearings from a Peerless Pump gearhead hangar from a set of Mine bowl pumps. 1 7/8 diameter, go through 8 layers of 3/4 exterior plywood and leave a clean punched hole. Go through a 3/8 inch steel plate at 100 yards like it was paper. Eats quarter pound of powder with every shot. Cut off a section of shafting that is just under square ( shorter than the diameter by 1/8 inch ) and it howls as it travels downrange. Howls louder than the rotating band from a 105 out of a shot-out barrel.

·
Premium Member
11,833 Posts
I always did want a 12 lb. bronze Napoleon.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts