Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Because the previous thread was getting so long, I am starting a new one.

Here is a pic of two of my setters pointing a single bird in Texas a few years ago. The lab is not a pointing lab but rather a dog that has been trained to honor
pointing dogs, flush the bird on command and assist in the retrieves. He belonged to a friend and was one of the most well mannered dogs I have ever been around.

·
Registered
10,782 Posts
What a great bird hunting picture with great looking dogs doing a superb job!! The Lab is something very special too and makes it a fantastic bird dog picture!

HAP

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here are a couple pics from my last litter a few years ago. The female in the picture is not the mom by rather the grandmom. At the time she was 11 years old and had not had a litter in years. She began getting in the box with the pups and after a couple days she started lactating! Vet said he had never seen that happen but had heard of it. Both mom and grandmom nursed the pups to weaning. 8 pups in the litter so it really helped them thrive to have two sources of milk.

The other pic is one of the pups at one week.

Having a litter of pups is one of life's greatest joys. When they get about 8 weeks and start pointing wings and sparrows it is great. However,8 pups is too much work for an old guy like me.

Bruce Bowen
Sturgis SD

·
Registered
10,782 Posts
Mother bird dogs are amazing creatures!! Thanks for sharing these pictures Bruce!

MY brothers ES Lady had a litter and Lon kept a male to hunt with. We hunted grouse and quail with the new pup following his mom every time we went out. When Blackie could keep up with mom, she schooled him on pointing and honoring a point!! He rushed in and flushed a quail covey one day and his mom promptly knocked him flat on his butt and stood over him growling!! Blackie turned into a fantastic bird dog machine!!

HAP

1 - 4 of 4 Posts