Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love that moment when the birds drop their feet and you pick out the band. Or when you pick up a bird and see the band. It’s amazing to think about the journeys that they’ve made. Nature is remarkable.

1st band was a snow goose. A flock of 5 came in. Our group shot all 5 and 5 bands. My bird was a juvenile banded the previous summer north of the Arctic circle. Shot in NW MO.

2nd band was a Canada goose. Banded in VA. Shot in SE WI the following year in fall.

no pictures of these unfortunately.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Well the smallest band I got was on a Dove as it had 2 bands , it was worth $100. , I have killed several waterfowl with bands most from the Northwest but I have one that flew over 3800 miles from
The Nunavut River to be killed here in the San Joaquin Valley of Ca ! The Biggest band I have came from a Black Bear as it had tags in both ears along with staple with a ID number , the F&G said it
was banded (like what you get on some forums) from going into Yosemite National Park ever again !

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Very impressive. I’m hoping to get a double handed goose this fall. There’s a banded pair nesting a 1/2 mile north of a field I can hunt. One double banded, the other with a single band. Keeping fingers crossed they show up opening morning.

·
Registered
499 Posts
There was a article recently in Ducks Unlimited that said to not specifically target banded birds. You could be shortening your days afield and limits by doing so without realizing it. It also screws up thre data and averages. Look it up if your interested. I have a few but they are always a surprise. I'm looking at there beak not there legs. Hoping for a good season to come.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
This last March I was Snow Goose hunting in North West Missouri. One of the guys I was hunting with killed a Snow Goose with a band on it. The band was put on the Snow Goose in February of 2006 in Texas. It's estimated age was one year old when the band was put on it in 2006.
IMG_5017 by https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/, on Flickr

If the banded birds die of old age or are killed by other birds or predators I don't think that will help them get any data.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Look up the article from wildfowl magazine about targeting banded birds and why it is detrimental to study data and history. Yes band info is helpful if there harvested as they intended.

·
Registered
8,160 Posts
I have several but the two most memorable are:

The very first duck I shot as a kid was a banded woodie.

Goose hunting southern MI in a corn field and shot a goose with a red neck band with white letters that read LAB. Hunting with my former hunting buddy, a black lab. Hangs on my call lanyard.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I’ve shot several ducks banded. My favorite is a jack miner band old recovery.

But my friend used to live by a highway bridge on a swampy island. He would check the road kill purple Martins all summer. He Found 5-6 banded Martins over the years. Very cool tiny bands

·
Registered
63 Posts
A couple years ago, I saw a goose wing sticking up out of the snow, along the river. I went to look to see if it had a band. It had a $100 reward band! The other leg was missing, but it would have had a band also.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
I have a few bands. Double banded Speck a couple Canada goose bands maybe 8 Mallard bands 10 or 12 Ringneck bands a golden eye that said it was a Ring neck a woody that I shot in MN that was banded in Louisiana to young to fly. The smallest band I have is Chickadee that the cat brought back to me. I shot a goose a few years ago that Moose retrieved that had a DU Good luck 2018 the band was green Moose has that on his collar now. My dad just gave me all his bands he got most of them when where hunting together.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I found a red tailed hawk dead this past spring while mushroom hunting. It had a plastic and metal band on each leg. It was from about 90 miles away. I learned this from the game warden I called to come retrieve it.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
F2308A32-320A-4E1B-B93A-D8101896EE58.jpeg

I’ve been blessed to be able to hunt the rice prairies and coastal marshes of SE Texas for more than 60 years and where I killed a fair number of banded geese; but oddly, relatively few banded ducks. To me, getting a banded bird was akin to winning the lottery.

Most of the banded geese that I shot were banded in southern - mid Saskatchewan, Canada and all were killed in Wharton, Colorado or Matagorda counties Texas.

The more noteworthy of the bands that I have been fortunate to get were:

The oldest was a 13 + year old speckled belly (banded as an adult).
A blue goose banded on Baffin Island very close to the Arctic Circle
Two Ross geese that were banded way, way up north in Nunavut Canada (Shown on map red dot banding site blue dot termination site).

The strangest coincidence were 2 greenwing drakes that I shot 1 week apart. They were killed in different locations about 60 miles apart and were banded at the same location and date. The location of the banding site was approximately 35 miles from each of the 2 hunting locations.

·
Registered
726 Posts
For over 32 years we lived next to a coastal marsh in Marshfield Ma. Mostly black ducks and got a few bands. Some came up from MD. We had local geese that were from the 1933 no more live decoy law. Rockefeller had a camp in the marsh that released them. The camp slowly rotted into the earth. These geese had longer necks and never migrated. Stopped shooting them as they were skinny with little meat.

·
Premium Member
3,145 Posts
I never took up waterfowl hunting but this thread is very interesting! Cool stories.
Good luck guys !

One of my Pa black bears was banded and I've 'found' a few dead hawks that were banded...
bear hug 044.JPG

1 - 20 of 20 Posts