Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've used plenty of WD-40 to wipe-down guns I use regularly, but I use Birchwood-Casey Sheath for those going into the safe that won't be used for awhile, e.g. end of season hunting guns.

I can't find it for sale. I see Birchwood-Casey Barricade, but no Sheath. What's going on?

·
Registered
8,243 Posts
Same thing, just a name change. I even use it for guns I use all the time. Best thing since they invented bubble gum.

·
Registered
25,281 Posts
Actually Sheath is still available, via their industrial website. Don't know why they changed the name of the firearms version.

Sheath for firearms is now called Barricade.

Aside from the bottle, can or spray version, they also have a package of 25 impregnated wipes that are really handy to keep in a vehicle. I carry them during the rainy season to wipe the gun down with.

Compared to WD-40, Barricade nee Sheath doesn't leave a gummy film. And it displaces water better than Break-Free. I still use break-Free for cleaning and lubrication, though. I do not like WD-40 for firearms.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
<blockquote><i>"Don't know why they changed the name of the firearms version."</I></blockquote>According to their marketing VP, B-C changed the name of the consumer product to <UL><li>differentiate it from the industrial product relative to container sizes and<LI>to give it a more "modern and up-to-date" name that would appeal to younger buyers</UL>

No kidding... that's what he told me.

MK

·
Registered
25,281 Posts
"According to their respective MSDS's Barricade and Stealth are not exactly the same."

I wonder if there are differences that would require different levels of hazmat handling? Doesn't take much. That makes more sense than the "hip" marketing which might be a cover ploy.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Although the incredients do not seem exactly the same per the material sheets, they seem to be very similar in the main and I did not really noticed a difference when having to go to Barricade when my Sheath ran out.

Still seems to work well.

But I REALLY like Rusteprofe.

http://prostores3.carrierzone.com/servlet/rusteprufe_com/Categories

·
Registered
9,984 Posts
Just an FYI...a thin coat of liquid AeroWax is basically the same stuff per a buddy that works in a oil analysis lab for BP-Castrol...and you can get Aerowax very cheap in any good supermarket

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.