I belong to a small club, (one trap, and one skeet field). We are
discussing changing over to bio-degradable targets, and would like to get
some information about them. We have heard that they are bad for the
grass, and plants in the area where they fall. Any information would
be greatly appreciated. Harry

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
We tried them out a while back and stopped using them. I don't remember if it was they broke too easily in the machine or not at all in the air.

Eric

·
Registered
606 Posts
Check out Lawry Targets. If you are in their delivery area they have CERTIFIED NON-TOXIC targets. We have used them for several years now and our grass still needs to be mowed weekly. We have two trap fields and a sporting clays course and get a trailer load every year. We sell 6-7 pallets to neighboring clubs. There is a substantial savings over White Flyers.

ctreay

·
Well known trouble maker
2,841 Posts
We tried them last winter and our percentage of broken targets coming out of the trap house nearly doubled. Members were understanding at first but as the problem continued they became more vocal. They additionally complained that many targets drew "dust" and did not break as well as the traditional targets.

We learned our lesson and will not be throwing bio's anymore.

Doc

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I thank all of you who have replied to my question, there seems to be a good variety of responses. Thanks again Harry

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Over the last few years our club has shot all the various White Flyer and Lawry targets. Our club is situated in Southwestern Ontario, Canada. The only real difference we found was that the White Flyer Bio smoked white when centered. We initially started shooting the WF Bio because they were significantly cheaper than the pitch target. We currently shoot the White Flyer pitch target and will likely keep shooting them because our customers prefer them. Bill Malcolm

·
Premium Member
10,525 Posts
Are Laury "non toxic" targets made from different ingredients than White Flyers? I have also heard biodegradable targets make from bicarbonates.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Barry, The Lawry target has a high calcium limestone content. Here is a link that gives some detail regarding the Lawry targets. Bill Malcolm

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
We have been using WF Bios for the past two years with no issues. The climate here is dry and the trap houses don't have drainage problems.

The problem with the drop zone vegetation kill is due to sulfuric acid generation and if the soil in your area is aready slightly acid or neutral and you get a fair amount of precipitation, there will be a vegetation kill off. Target drop zones aren't real nice places anyway and I'm not sure vegetaion is desirable there in any case.

The problem with corrosion of trap machies parts is also going to be a function of moisture. If the bio's get damp their gypsum content begins to biodegrade and form sulfuric acid and SO2 gas. So in addition to the obvious problem of machine damage the targets are biodegrading at this point so you can't expect them to maintain their integrity on the launch plate.

As far as how they break when being shot - no issues and we regularly have guys running 100 x 100 and even a few 200 x 200 scores on them. They do 'smoke' with a centered hit but it is white smoke. You don't need heavy loads of big shot to break them either.

So yes there may be problems and you need to consider your club's storage facilities and environmental conditions. But the big incentive to use the Bios is the lower cost. This is a huge factor for any club but for the smaller clubs, the cost savings can mean the difference between being solvent and going belly up.

·
Registered
289 Posts
The wife and I attended a shoot last Summer where they were used and it was our first experience with them. Will never attend a shoot again that uses them. Was shown first hand many unbroken target with multiple holes in them. With my average I need every bird I can get. :)

·
Registered
683 Posts
Walworth Sportsman's has been using them for the past three years with NO problems. We have four All Americans in the club and they have had no issues with the bios. If you hit the target it breaks. I shoot 17.5 gr. Promo all winter with no prolems. The breakage is no worse then pitch targets.

Remember guys you are the ones that all say buy American.

·
Registered
13,610 Posts
Lots of downsides, and very few upsides.

If WF could dye the composition so they smoked black (which I think is the biggest reason shooters don't like them), and made them less acidic (so they didn't kill the grass and damage machines), they would gain greater shooter acceptance.

·
Registered
70 Posts
We have been using bio's for last 8 years at least White Flyers at that on Pat no issues we just keep machine wiped down when raining or real high humidity.

Grass is not so healthy in drop zone but that sure is not a big deal we also don't have problems breaking good scores really like them for night shooting get some nice white smoke off good hits Paul

·
Molon Labe
11,990 Posts
We tried them in our trap machines but they were pretty sensitive to humidity

It seemed during humid parts of the year the machine was tough on them, but if it was dry, not much different than pitch targets

·
5,235 Posts
Been a Bio user since 2000 outside Chicago. No operational issues and the cleanup savings is another bonus.

Keep your equipment clean and dry and you won't have issues. Grass Skeet fields do get beaten up with Bio debris, but its a non-issue with a traditional trap setup...

Jay

·
Banned
10,106 Posts
Better color and cheaper. I've broken tons of straights on 'em. Put the load where it belongs and they smoke like any other target!!

·
Banned
5,302 Posts
I shoot at two clubs, one with WF pitch, the other WF bio. I don't see any difference in my scores. I run about a 97 average at both and as a one eye shooter, I know where I missed and it's usually by a lot. Consequently, I don't think I am losing targets at the bio club because of the target composition as I am not losing targets asking why that one didn't break.

You do see more dusted targets but my personal opinion is that it is because you can see the white dust of a light hit better than the dust from a lightly hit pitch target.

However, because shooters can see the dust they will swear that the bios are harder to break and perception is just as convincing as reality. So, if you have the choice, shoot the pitch and avoid the bitch.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts