Trapshooters Forum banner
21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Bill had both fixed and changeable ribs....some had briley choke tubes,, some fixed. I've seen them both plain and fancy....Bill would make one your way...merlyn
Can choke tubes be added?

·
Vendor
1,332 Posts
Been doing some reading on here about these lately. There is one for sale that I'm interested in. I was wondering what others opinions are on buying a gun that is no longer in production. Does anyone know how many of these were made? I believe they have not been made since 2009. I read that phillips can service them. Please, I would love to hear your feedback.
Last year at either VA State Shoot or WVA State Shoot a Man was using a Cole gun. I watched him at 27 pound targets in shootoff. I seem to remember him winning. I had a Bowen at the time and I thought he was using one (Bowen) so I asked him after the shoot. He told me it was a Cole. He sure knew how to use it.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
In my searches on here for cole guns I found a silver dollar speacil. I've also seen alfermanns on here called silver dollar speacils. Blued receivers always. Why do they call them that? Isn't there a Silverr seitz called that as Well?

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Bill Jordan when he was in charge of the silver dollar gun club in Florida, purchased 50 Alfermanns serial number 110 through 160. They were stamped silver dollar specials and Bill sold them all at the silver dollar....

I have no knowledge of Bill Cole and the silver dollar...

Any other questions on Alfermann guns can be directed to myself or the Alfermann brothers..........merlyn

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Bill Jordan when he was in charge of the silver dollar gun club in Florida, purchased 50 Alfermanns serial number 110 through 160. They were stamped silver dollar specials and Bill sold them all at the silver dollar....

I have no knowledge of Bill Cole and the silver dollar...

Any other questions on Alfermann guns can be directed to myself or the Alfermann brothers..........merlyn
Merlyn check out this bill cole silver dollar speacil that was fore sale on here in 2011.

https://www.trapshooters.com/threads/fs-cole-gun-sold-pending.141150/

·
Registered
116 Posts
Curious. Are Coles, Alfermans, Bowen’s, TS 2000s and Seitzs all similar? Prices are all over the map. Never owned a single trap gun other than a TMX and 90T briefly. Getting older and may get get back into trap just for fun.
Thx
I can't speak for a Cole but I have had the rest apart in front of me.
The Alf is a tank, great gun shoot all day everyday.
The TS are SHIT! Knock off Bowen with really bad metal.
The Seitz is good quality and a great trigger. For single barrel gun it would be hard to beat.
I had a Devault apart once and Dennis built quality stuff, very sad he passed because his work got better and better.
But in my opinion the early Bowens are probably the best machine and metal work i have ever seen.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
The Seitz is good quality and a great trigger. For single barrel gun it would be hard to beat.
I had a Devault apart once and Dennis built quality stuff, very sad he passed because his work got better and better.
But in my opinion the early Bowens are probably the best machine and metal work i have ever seen.

Well it sounds like you need to get a Bill Cole to add to that impressive list.

·
Sky Buster
4,186 Posts
I believe a Ljutic top's them all !

·
Registered
116 Posts
I believe a Ljutic top's them all !
I made the 27 shooting a Ljutic LTX on the same squad with Joe Ljutic and BJ Alley in Coulee City WA. I shot a 99 (missed the 10th) and covered the field. I walked in clubhouse and Stu Welton was playing pocker and asked how I did, his jaw dropped when I told him. I'll remember that day forever.
Ljutic's are hell for stout.
Al was one start smart SOB, But not a really friendly

·
Registered
146 Posts
I made the 27 shooting a Ljutic LTX on the same squad with Joe Ljutic and BJ Alley in Coulee City WA. I shot a 99 (missed the 10th) and covered the field. I walked in clubhouse and Stu Welton was playing pocker and asked how I did, his jaw dropped when I told him. I'll remember that day forever.
Ljutic's are hell for stout.
Al was one start smart SOB, But not a really friendly
When you bought a Bill Cole gun from an authorized dealer, he had a rib box with all available ribs. You could shoot your new purchase and then trade for the point of impact you needed. All fixed ribs (1 thru5)were the same height in the front. The height was higher in the back requiring you to raise the comb so that you could see over the rib. That way the gun would shoot higher. #1 rib was the lowest. Backwards of how we think of it today, but it worked. After all that came the adjustable rib at the end of production. The Silver Dollar Cole was a prototype.Bill Jacobson considered selling Cole guns. In the end he went with Alferman. There two types of Silver Dollar Alfermans. One was the standard Alferman rib. The other was what was called the Mohawk rib. Mohawks were a little heavier.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
All silver dollar Alfermann guns were blued Mohawk receivers, ribs were either fixed or the interchangeable rib.. The interchangeable rib is held on with a screw in the chamber area of the barrel.
The rib was the only option.......anthing other was done after-market.......merlyn

·
Registered
48 Posts
Bill Cole made very fine guns. I own serial #4. Bought from a fellow shooters estate. I think the machine work on this gun is far better than my Ljutic mono. Very nice gun, should not ever need much in the way of repairs.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Bill Cole made very fine guns. I own serial #4. Bought from a fellow shooters estate. I think the machine work on this gun is far better than my Ljutic mono. Very nice gun, should not ever need much in the way of repairs.
Do you have any pictures you can share? Id like to try and re compile a registry like what checker had started in 2009. Unfortunately all those pics are gone.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Sorry about the pic size and the lack of quality of the pics. But here are three Cole guns including the original and first prototype made. The gun with the flushing pheasant and lab belongs to my brother and the other two are mine. The prototype was machined by our Dad in the shop that my brother and I now own. Lots of sentimental history here. Enjoy.

21 - 40 of 63 Posts