Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been doing some reading on here about these lately. There is one for sale that I'm interested in. I was wondering what others opinions are on buying a gun that is no longer in production. Does anyone know how many of these were made? I believe they have not been made since 2009. I read that phillips can service them. Please, I would love to hear your feedback.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very simple, built like a tank, very little to go wrong......resale is not as it should be........merlyn
Thanks for your response. Would you happen to know who works on them?

·
Registered
341 Posts
Not totally sure but I think Bill made 121 of his guns!! Pretty sure Ed Haley in Washington State bought all of Bills remaining parts after Bill passed. Gary

·
Registered
837 Posts
Curious. Are Coles, Alfermans, Bowen’s, TS 2000s and Seitzs all similar? Prices are all over the map. Never owned a single trap gun other than a TMX and 90T briefly. Getting older and may get get back into trap just for fun.
Thx

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I want one! lol

·
Registered
613 Posts
Does a Cole have a hammer or a striker? Lester

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
The trigger group resembles a Ljutic with a swinging hammer. The barrel locking block is on top of the chamber rather than under as most others are and needed no hold-open pin as the block was retracted when closing the action......merlyn

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The trigger group resembles a Ljutic with a swinging hammer. The barrel locking block is on top of the chamber rather than under as most others are and needed no hold-open pin as the block was retracted when closing the action......merlyn
Merlyn what do you know about the choke on these guns. the one im looking at says "modified choke barrel" Im assuming it doesn't have screw in chokes. If so can it be threaded for choke tubes?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Also in searching this forum I found a thread by "checker" that started to document all the bill cole guns. Serial number with picture. the pictures are not shwing on the thread anymore. I believe it was last posted to in 2011. Is there anyway to see these pics and can I not private message anyone on here until I hit 50 respectable posts??

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
sacky07 - you did not say how much money you are going to pay for this "out of production" gun. Do you travel and shoot ATA shoots or just casual league stuff at home ?? The reason for asking is a simple one. Guns are mechanical and they break. They only break when you are shooting them. Imagine, you have invested travel $$ and you are a thousand miles from home and the gun breaks. Is someone at that shoot going to have parts and be able to fix it ??

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
sacky07 - you did not say how much money you are going to pay for this "out of production" gun. Do you travel and shoot ATA shoots or just casual league stuff at home ?? The reason for asking is a simple one. Guns are mechanical and they break. They only break when you are shooting them. Imagine, you have invested travel $$ and you are a thousand miles from home and the gun breaks. Is someone at that shoot going to have parts and be able to fix it ??
That's what back up guns are for. But Ive always admired "boutique" guns and its not like I'm buying a $10k used silver seitz. Ive always been casual but am shooting a lot more and just started shooting registered targets. Plus I need to buy another gun to force one to be the back up lol.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Bill had both fixed and changeable ribs....some had briley choke tubes,, some fixed. I've seen them both plain and fancy....Bill would make one your way...merlyn

1 - 20 of 63 Posts