Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking at older Trap and Field issues and have noticed that hardly any "Dawgs" shoot at their local clubs, including their zone shoots. Any reason for this?

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
They are shooting about every week at the larger shoots.Not really the time for the smaller clubs.Just one of a few reasons.

·
Premium Member
10,525 Posts
Money and their spirit of competition. I wish competitiveness was contagious. We need many more competitive shooters. Many, many more.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you think they could maintain their high averages shooting at the smaller clubs where the targets and back grounds are not as ideal as they are at the bigger shoots?

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
If they shot smaller clubs people would complain that they are taking the money and beating people with considerably less experience. Its a catch 22, damned if they don't shoot local and damned if they do. In order to shoot with All-American type shooters you must shoot state shoots, zones, any large shoots. MHO Scott

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
Scott is right. It wasn't always that way. Around here, many of the really top shooters don't shoot the small shoots because they don't want to take the money/trophies from the average shooter. Trouble is you then have the second tier shooter winning all the prizes so everyone goes home because they don't want to go up against them.

Ed Yanchok

·
Banned
3,913 Posts
Scott Johnson and Ed Y have part of the it.

Points are a big part. If you are off chasing the big points, there isn't much time to play at home.

Purses? In a way, but only because points and purses are interrelated. Having one begets the other.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Also if you are at the top of the game you would want to go where the most All American points are, where the most money is and where the best competition is. One would think. Sorry Sam we must have been typing at similar times and I just reiterated your good post. Scott

·
Registered
389 Posts
It cost the "Big Dawgs" almost as much to shoot a small club shoot (where there is no chance at winning a big purse or a really nice trophy) as it does to compete at a major shoot. Plus the State shoots last for about 4 days or more. After competing stretches of 4-7 days at about 10 major shoots or more per year the "Big Dawgs" are just about burned out. This is probably why they do not got to small club shoots.

Hit 'em hard,

John

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
We have a Big Dog (Daro Handy) that supports our local club. He was here Saturday, helping to score at our PITA multiplex shoot, and again on Sunday for the start of our Winter Trap League. He has a team and shoots in our ten week league. He organizes our annual PITA shoot, and helps out at the club whenever he is at home. Thanks to our own local Big Dog. Mark

·
Registered
205 Posts
Back in the 70's my father and I ran a two trap club in eastern KY. Our shooters always performed well at the state shoot and Vandalia, so a couple of state officials (including one who usually had one the highest 16yd averages in the state) came to one of our registered shoots to check us out. When they saw the 3 hole, 52 yard targets we were throwing, they just put there guns back in the car and left.

chet h.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I do see where some people would be intimidated shooting against them. I know of one good shooter in southern Indiana that shoots the local clubs that sometimes will give the trophy(usually free targets} to the next high score.

·
Well known trouble maker
2,840 Posts
The big dawgs shoot at my local club.

We are a nice little club nestled in the foothills of the Appalachian's in southwest Ohio.

When ever we have a shoot (usually a memorial shoot honoring a shooter who is no longer with us) it is not unusual for a few "all american's" to arrive and take the line.

Louie Morgan and the Ross clan (Randy, Nora, Earnie) come to mind but there are others that make their way from Kentucky to grab a little Yankee cash.

The addition of the "dawgs" really adds an element of excitement. I know I love to shoot with them and on the rare occasions that you beat them, it is just that much sweeter!

Doc

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Mr. Roach, I shoot Evansville and do venture north to Vincennes and try to get to Oaktown if the weather cooperates.

·
Registered
8,217 Posts
I still say that a lot of local clubs have shooters who are as good as the so called "Big Dawgs". If they were able to shoot as much and chase points across the nations like the big dawgs do the names would change a lot more on the marquee..

·
Registered
109 Posts
We must just be lucky around here in Northern CA it seems that every weekend at any given "small" club we have "Big Dogs" shooting.....to name a few Ron Alcoriza, Dan Bonillas, Gary Bonetti, Wayne Poffenbarger, and that is just off the top of my head!

·
Banned
3,913 Posts
Some 'Big Dawgs' will shoot cheap and convenient local shoots and pass on the options just to get the 'clipboard targets' to keep them running at full-stride if there is a break between big shoots. For them that's better practice than just practice rounds.

Likes-to-shoot makes a good point too. In fact in years past many of them would have been considered 'Big Dawgs'.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Harlan shot at our club a few years ago and hit 298 x 300 and gave his winnings to our Youth Shooters.

Tim

1 - 20 of 49 Posts