Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today marks the 89th celebration of Dan's life. If anyone would like to pass along a greeting I will be happy to share it with him. Please include your name and perhaps a gun club and year. His memory remains perfect to this day. Steve

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Happy Birthday Dan

Ken Frye Jr.

I've never had the opportunity to shoot with him, but would love the opportunity to do so.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you gentlemen I will ring him up tonight. Having played for Green Bay '49-'51 he remains a loyal fan.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Circa Mid-1970's...Trap and Field Magazine and the ATA used to sponsor a chartered flight from Chicago to Reno direct to participate at the Golden West Grand with special rates at a Reno Hotel and bus transportation to and from the shoot. It was a great time. Best of all...Dan Orlich met us on the tarmac when we deplaned and chatted with each and every one of us....and also shot the week of the Golden West Grand. The Golden West Grand was a huge shoot at the time and the Trap and Field Package sold out every time. Shoot all day...gamble all night.....couldnt' get any better!!!......Uncle Sam, Pa.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Dan was one of the greatest shots and gentlemen of our sport. I know when I was a kid going to the Grand, one of my favorite memories was my dad introducing me to him. Happy Birthday! And may God bless you with many more! Jeff Philipbar/NY

·
Registered
16,608 Posts
I sold hot dogs in the old Packer Stadium at Green Bay East HS while he was playing. Paul Lipscomb, a teammate lived a couple houses from us.

I believe he pumped the first 100 on doubles with a Remington 31.

HM

·
Registered
6,230 Posts
Click the elink for an interesting account of Mr. Orlich's 1961 shoot-off at Vandalia against George Snellenberger.

-Gary

·
Premium Member
2,940 Posts
Steve, Merry Christmas to you and Steph! About 10 or 11 fears ago I had a great phone conversation with Mr. Orlich. I was doing some research for Ljutic and their history for their first website. He is such a gentleman. Isn't that picture of him and Joe Ljutic above?

Tell him we all wish him well and hope to see him at the Grand this August.

Bob Schultz

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just got off the phone with Daniel and I read him every post. HM I did ask about his first 100 in doubles and it was with a Model 32 (which he still has) using the Model 31 for singles and caps. Thank you all again for your responses.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
GW22 Gary that is one of the finest examples of sportsmanship I have ever heard, and it is even better when Dan tells it. Mr. Schultz I am truly flattered but I think you may have me confused with Steve Carmichael, but I will certainly pass your greeting along to Daniel. I believe the youngster in the above photo is Tommy Bielar, Zard please correct me if I am wrong. Merry Christmas to all. Steve

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
I had the pleasure of shooting with Dan several times over the years. Super shot, Better gentleman. Dan would never change a trap when we walked on. He shot em as they were and it didn't seem to matter, he still was crushing them.

Long live the king.

Ron & Mary Wilson
Genoa NV

·
Vendor
1,358 Posts
hi steve, i miss reno this time of year. lots of old friends to celebrate with. merry Christmas to you and your family! doug

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Big Dan was the one who drew a crowd of spectators at the Grand. I first saw him in 1957. Roy Rogers was a big draw in 1957,with his fancy M 12. That was my first year there. I did not shoot that 1st. year.

Clyde

1 - 20 of 49 Posts