Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a a little while till retirement, but have been thinking about wintering for a few months somewhere else besides North Dakota. This last week of -20 with 30 to 40 mph winds has me thinking of heading south for a few months once I retire. I’m thinking after Christmas till March. Now with that I would like to shoot a winter league while I’m there. Maybe a few ATA shoots? Where do the older folks winter and why? I forgot to put in I would prefer low humidity

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
I plan on going to Tampa, Fla. Area next year.
I have not firmed up an RV spot yet but will this summer.
I am originally from there and still have family there so it was my first choice.
Also several places to shoot at was a high priority. And the area fit my requirements.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
ArizonaCity/Casa Grande = low-dose population with most amenities!!!

Winter chain at Casa, Tucson, and Ben Avery every week!!!

WAYYY better weather than the Dakotas......we even throw in a dab of snow and otherwise putrid weather for the homesick.....,but it doesn't last long.....no bugs.
merlyn

·
Premium Member
Perazzi MX2000 31.5/34 combo with a prosoft
1,243 Posts
Arizona winter chain or the dollar are your two best bets. I’m far from retirement and thinking about, but I have trap friends who have done both and like them.

Maybe @Barry C. Roach can talk about AZ?

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
I live about as far north as possible in the lower 48. I really like the AZ choices for the winter get-always and will be looking hard at seasonal options when I retire in a couple years. The OP mentioned liking low humidity- that about nails the AZ choice.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Ben Avery (Phoenix), sunny, high today 77, wind about 3 mph. Casa Grande, Tucson, Bullhead City, all about the same. Hard to beat Arizona in the winter.

·
Premium Member
841 Posts
Odessa Fl good shooting, lots of golf, great fishing both fresh and salt water. Good Medical facilities. shopping, traffic isn't to bad avoid the rush hour. lots of humidity your skin doesn't dry out.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Hi : I have been Lucky enough to spend a number of years in Tucson. Do to health I have missed the last 3 yrs. I had a pacemaker installed. Jan. 31/2019, Doing fine. Life is interesting. Being alive to enjoy is important. I was able to rent a home in Tucson Estates. We enjoyed.
Do not wait to long, EH !!
Please enjoy it.

Joe Woods/Ontario

·
Premium Member
6,023 Posts
I have a a little while till retirement, but have been thinking about wintering for a few months somewhere else besides North Dakota. This last week of -20 with 30 to 40 mph winds has me thinking of heading south for a few months once I retire. I’m thinking after Christmas till March. Now with that I would like to shoot a winter league while I’m there. Maybe a few ATA shoots? Where do the older folks winter and why? I forgot to put in I would prefer low humidity
Since you specifically stated "low humidity" along with warm temperatures, your best choice and really only is nestled in AZ either at one of the club's Merlyn mentioned or in close proximity of one.

Tampa/Odessa area will probably have mid 40% up to 80% humidity in the winter.

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
Winter chain at Casa, Tucson, and Ben Avery every week!!!
I've shot a few shoots at Tucson (heading out to the old Pueblo again this year) and my wife is from Phoenix, so I think we will eventually do some snowbirding in Tucson. I've never been to Ben Avery, but told they don't have the rv capacity that tucson does.

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Setterman
I have attended the Miss State Shoot in Biloxi. The shoot was held at the coast rifle and pistol club.
I believe it is owned by the Naval Aviation Academy.
Henry

·
Registered
439 Posts
I shot at Rio Salada a couple times last winter. Seems to me this club is more about SC and rifle than trap but the trap range was OK, people seemed friendly enough. If I found myself in that neck of the woods I'd definitely shoot there again.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Kalispell MT...... I hear they have a great winter league and plenty of hot stove talk the rest of the day down at the local Music Store! Im working on talking my wife into the plan to get a winter place over that way.

·
Registered
32,288 Posts
Well, it is 80 degrees here in the Northern end of the Fauxhinex metro area, 2:45 PM local time. Ben Avery hosted a 5 day shoot this week. Wind was blowing so hardtoday about half the entry’s scratched on Doubles, some and went home. Guess I should have taken a picture of the flag pole bent over the top touching the ground. I figured when it came to Handicap, I could win it being the only one there. Some other clown stuck it out and beat my score of 89.

Reactions: RickN and pbansen
1 - 20 of 60 Posts