Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
There've been lots of threads on Ts.com about how to deal with a flinch and how to overcome one if you're so afflicted. I've read about many experiences, the agonies that folks have gone through and the measures they've undertaken to try to overcome a flinch and stay in the game.

The truth is, in 60 years of competitive clay target shooting, I've never had a flinch..........not once! I feel denied.

Since this Coronavirus thing has effectively closed the lid on my shooting and coaching for the time being, I thought I'd try to find out how to develop a flinch to increase my awareness of the condition.

So...........I'm open to suggestions. What should I do to start flinching? Help me out if you can. Thanks.

·
Registered
955 Posts
You are one of the lucky ones to never experience flinching. I am not sure why you would want to experience one. The flinching was so bad that sometime felt like I was going to fall on my Face because I could not pull the trigger. I have had the problem for 20 some years and I finally switched to a Release trigger. Don’t feel Denied feel privileged you have never experience them.

·
Premium Member
1,616 Posts
Just keep living and shooting.
However I have known some that has never flinched in their life's.
I've been shooting Releases for the past 30-35 years. I can't understand why people think shooting Release triggers are something very awful. There's no disadvantage to me at all for if it wasn't for release triggers I couldn't shoot at all.
Flinching or not flinching is a individual thing. It's our make up of how we are individually.

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
IMHO a lot of it is in our genetics...so you are cursed with not being a flincher ;)

BUT this might help. Say over and over while preparing to call for the bird "Don't flinch...don't flinch".
Glad to be of help Jim :)

·
Premium Member
Perazzi MX2000 31.5/34 combo with a prosoft
1,198 Posts
There've been lots of threads on Ts.com about how to deal with a flinch and how to overcome one if you're so afflicted. I've read about many experiences, the agonies that folks have gone through and the measures they've undertaken to try to overcome a flinch and stay in the game.

The truth is, in 60 years of competitive clay target shooting, I've never had a flinch..........not once! I feel denied.

Since this Coronavirus thing has effectively closed the lid on my shooting and coaching for the time being, I thought I'd try to find out how to develop a flinch to increase my awareness of the condition.

So...........I'm open to suggestions. What should I do to start flinching? Help me out if you can. Thanks.
Start by dry firing at a wall. Use your usual pull call and everything. Make sure your s/o is in the same room.

After about 10 reps, change your call to insults about her appearance.
It will take about 3 more calls before you flinch...

·
Registered
127 Posts

What I would do is get a Ruger Red Label 12 gauge field gun along with a box of hunting shells. Make sure to jerk the gun toward to target, let your eyes bounce out to the target from the trap and drink two or three strong caffeinated cups of coffee before you shoot. If you do not develop a flinch doing the above you never will.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You are one of the lucky ones to never experience flinching. I am not sure why you would want to experience one. The flinching was so bad that sometime felt like I was going to fall on my Face because I could not pull the trigger. I have had the problem for 20 some years and I finally switched to a Release trigger. Don’t feel Denied feel privileged you have never experience them.
Many thanks.

I'm not sure if "lucky" is the right word. I've never believed in luck. My interest is purely educational. I'm not sure about being privileged.........that's a concept I'm unfamiliar with.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
IMHO a lot of it is in our genetics...so you are cursed with not being a flincher ;)

BUT this might help. Say over and over while preparing to call for the bird "Don't flinch...don't flinch".
Glad to be of help Jim :)
Drew,

Many thanks. As I've mentioned before, I learned decades ago never to have a single negative thought in my head, so "Don't..........(anything)" is simply not in my vocabulary.

Jim

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Start by dry firing at a wall. Use your usual pull call and everything. Make sure your s/o is in the same room.

After about 10 reps, change your call to insults about her appearance.
It will take about 3 more calls before you flinch...
Haha! My s/o is the love of my life so I couldn't put your suggestion to the test.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Buy a older Winchester 101 and shoot super handicaps thru it.... LOL Jerry
Many thanks. When I was sponsored by Winchester they made me a Grand European that I used for Olympic skeet. I won the Grand Prix of Europe (Olympic skeet) with it in Spain with 200 straight using 32 gm loads after beating a Soviet guy in a shoot-off and never felt any pain. I think gun fit is key.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What I would do is get a Ruger Red Label 12 gauge field gun along with a box of hunting shells. Make sure to jerk the gun toward to target, let your eyes bounce out to the target from the trap and drink two or three strong caffeinated cups of coffee before you shoot. If you do not develop a flinch doing the above you never will.
Many thanks. Funny you should mention that. When I re-emigrated to the UK from Canada I brought with me a Ruger Red Label 12g field gun. I never could get along with it and eventually sold it.

·
Registered
14,903 Posts
The best, most surefire way to start flinching is, are you ready for it, to keep thinking about flinching. Like most things, the more you think about doing something, the more apt you are to do it. Every time you shoulder your gun, just before calling for the target, repeat in your mind "flinch, flinch, flinch" and see what happens. I know for a fact that repeating "miss, miss, miss" proves my point.

·
Registered
21,530 Posts

Count your blessings.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The best, most surefire way to start flinching is, are you ready for it, to keep thinking about flinching. Like most things, the more you think about doing something, the more apt you are to do it. Every time you shoulder your gun, just before calling for the target, repeat in your mind "flinch, flinch, flinch" and see what happens. I know for a fact that repeating "miss, miss, miss" proves my point.
My mantra when trap shooting is "wait for the target". Since I don't know what a flinch feels like, I think your suggestion to say, "Flinch, flinch, flinch" would probably pass my two brain cells without registering any sympathetic response. "Miss, miss, miss" would similarly be severely attenuated by my positive input filters.

·
Banned
3,554 Posts
buy some 2 3/4 max dram hunting loads with 1550 fps 6 or 7's.
buy a mossberg 500. make sure it has a cast off and that you are a cast on. take the pad off. fire twice. you will flinch on the second shot.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts