Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be sending a gun to it's new owner(via FFL of course). I have it packed in the original box. Seems like it should be packed in something additional and that doesn't say Browning on it.

What do you guys that ship a lot of guns use for packaging?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
If you're going to use the Browning box, then I suggest that you take a large cardboard box and a knife and/or scissors and cut and tape the cardboard box to go over the Browning box. Use the strong packing tape and plenty of it. I've shipped several guns that way.

Easystreet

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
A box inside a box with ample space between the two, filled with padding. Receiver and barrels in plastic bags (a source is the bag the cleaners put over your hanging clothes) so that styrofoam does not scratch the finish.

·
Registered
749 Posts
I have shipped and received an number of guns. One of the best I received was packed in a foam lined hard plastic case like you would buy from any sports store. It was then placed in the original cardboard box with no identifiers.

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
What tanda 1 said. If a gun Jack ships gets broken, it was severely abused. He goes to great lengths to protect his shipments. I worked in the shipping and receiving dept. of a warehouse for 12 years. I have seen what can happen to packages even packages most would consider well packed. Package it as if it were going to be tossed from a vehicle at 60mph. It might.

·
Krieghoff K80
2,494 Posts
Problem is.........where does one find a good sturdy box the right size to ship a gun case with room for packing ? If you ship/receive regularly, not so bad. Different story for the average Joe. Does anyone make custom size cardboard boxes ??

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Try going to a gun shop & asking for a packing box to ship your guns........they usually have some on hand from shipments that they have received & have no use for them.

·
Banned
9,042 Posts
Also, if sending to an FFL, do not include any words such as guns, arms, etc. on the address label. I usually use initials for the name. If incorporated, or company, Inc. or Co. afterwards.

The outside I package to the point of a 100 times Pinata strength. The inside components have to be secure also, so as to not bang into each other with severe impacts, such as drops.

Expanded Polystyrene, or beaded foam scares me to ship a gun in, with the original box.

Reactions: Claybird2

·
Krieghoff K80
2,494 Posts
Try going to a gun shop & asking for a packing box to ship your guns........they usually have some on hand from shipments that they have received & have no use for them.
Tried that once. They're usually reluctant because they also use these (better) boxes to ship their guns. You end up getting something you wouldn't ship your dirty laundry in. Wonder if these smaller independent shipping stores you see around custom make boxes.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Uline makes boxes for just about every need, or look up firearms shipping boxes on internet for other companies, some even sell foam lined boxes with an outer sleeve, Gary

·
Super Moderator
5,330 Posts
Problem is.........where does one find a good sturdy box the right size to ship a gun case with room for packing ? If you ship/receive regularly, not so bad. Different story for the average Joe. Does anyone make custom size cardboard boxes ??

I recently shipped my gun. And, yes, finding a box to ship it in was a bit of a pain. I wanted to ship the gun in its Americase so it needed to be about 40 inches long, 16 inches wide and 8 inches deep.

I went to a UPS Store and, as Leo mentioned above, got what they call a "guitar" box. Unfortunately, it was 2 to 4 inches too big in each dimension. So I went to Home Depot and bought a couple of sheets of 2-inch-thick styrofoam insulation. I cut it up and fashioned sort of an internal box within a box. Placed the Americase inside and it worked like a charm. A bit of overkill, but I was pretty sure it wasn't going to get damaged; and it didn't. Now I have a box if I ever need to send the gun out again.

ShippingBox.jpeg

·
Banned
9,042 Posts
I also use extruded polystyrene foam to take up air space, and protect cases. Lightweight, cheap, yet very good deflection strength.

·
Banned
2,644 Posts
Since only the action needs to go to an FFL, I've shipped a couple in pieces. Barrel/forend wrapped in bubbles in one of those triangular boxes, stock in bubbles in another box, and the action to the FFL in a little box all by itself. And, if like in CA, the FFL is the tax man, then estimating a reallllly low price for the basic action can be very advantageous. The smaller boxes are easier to score and there is a priority USPS box that is just right for stocks.

Shipping in pieces also makes sure that the kids at the gun shop don't play with your new toy.

just a thot

Reactions: Claybird2

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
If you think about how expensive it will be to get the firearm repaired from damage in shipping then the extra cost of foam, pipe wrap, shipping weight, etc. is nothing. I have shipped the barrel forearm assy. direct to the new owner and the receiver buttstock to the FFL in the past via FedEx. With exceptionally pretty wood the forearm and stock go to the new owner direct..

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
I have had pretty good luck finding heavy duty boxes at paint/body shops. They usually have a wide variety of sizes.......

·
Registered
619 Posts
Tried that once. They're usually reluctant because they also use these (better) boxes to ship their guns. You end up getting something you wouldn't ship your dirty laundry in. Wonder if these smaller independent shipping stores you see around custom make boxes.
I'd suggest going to a larger gun dealer. The larger the dealer, the more guns they sell, the more boxes they have to get rid of. One of the local shops here sells so many guns they routinely over fill their dumpster. Back when I shipped my Browning Cynergy they were more than happy to let me have any of the boxes they had. Unfortunately it had rained pretty heavy the day before and all the boxes were soaked.

·
Registered
5,588 Posts
Boxes within the main box is a good idea. I put barrels in a tube of cardboard or PVC, the stock and receiver in a smaller box and the forend in another. Pack each one well and put them in the main box so they can't shift in transit. I have never had one damaged during shipping this way. It works on any fragile or expensive items and I even have sent PW reloaders and no problems. Movement breaks stuff so don't allow any when shipping. Use lots of packaging tape to protect the integrity of the main outside box and remember to place a note inside that contains your contact info and where it's destination is. Insurance is without a doubt the best and use delivery confirmation and tracking as well.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts