Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Best way to finish a stock like a factory browning

23K views 20 replies 16 participants last post by  bluskyshooter 
Not sure if this is close to browning or not but certainly nice. I prep the wood with ultra fine grit sand paper and then with 0000 steel wool. clean dust of with vacuum and tack cloth. Apply Tru Oil with tack cloth in a thin even coat. Next day, buff with 0000 steel wool and clean with vacuum and tack cloth, then repeat with another coat of tru oil. Again allow to dry one day. Repeat this 7-10 times and with each coat you will get a little more depth and luster. After you have reached your desired finish, add one more final coat of tru oil and again allow to dry completely this time maybe 4-7 days in a dust free environment. Then buff with 0000 steel wool taking extra time and get every part of the wood except the checkering. It helps to mask off the checkering with carefully cut painters masking tape 2-3 layers over checkered areas only. This will prevent the checkering from dulling. Once you have buffed the final coat of tru oil real well and it is very shiny, clean it with a baby wipe and then wipe dry with a clean soft lint free cloth. Finish the stock with 3-5 coats of Birchwood Casey stock wax. Allow the way to cure for a few days before handling the stock or assembling to a gun. After a few days it should look great and be ready to install.

This is a fantastic way to make wood look awesome. I will warn you that the key to success with this method is time and attention to detail. If you cannot take your time then don't start this project or you will be dissapointed. The whole process should take you 2-3 weeks if you work on it everyday for a few hours.

Another tip, try on a piece of scrap wood about the same size as a stock so you get a feel for what you are doing before you attempt on your nice stock.

I hope this helps, PM me if you have questions.

Not sure if this is close to browning or not but certainly nice. I prep the wood with ultra fine grit sand paper and then with 0000 steel wool. clean dust of with vacuum and tack cloth. Apply Tru Oil with tack cloth in a thin even coat. Next day, buff with 0000 steel wool and clean with vacuum and tack cloth, then repeat with another coat of tru oil. Again allow to dry one day. Repeat this 7-10 times and with each coat you will get a little more depth and luster. After you have reached your desired finish, add one more final coat of tru oil and again allow to dry completely this time maybe 4-7 days in a dust free environment. Then buff with 0000 steel wool taking extra time and get every part of the wood except the checkering. It helps to mask off the checkering with carefully cut painters masking tape 2-3 layers over checkered areas only. This will prevent the checkering from dulling. Once you have buffed the final coat of tru oil real well and it is very shiny, clean it with a baby wipe and then wipe dry with a clean soft lint free cloth. Finish the stock with 3-5 coats of Birchwood Casey stock wax. Allow the way to cure for a few days before handling the stock or assembling to a gun. After a few days it should look great and be ready to install.

This is a fantastic way to make wood look awesome. I will warn you that the key to success with this method is time and attention to detail. If you cannot take your time then don't start this project or you will be dissapointed. The whole process should take you 2-3 weeks if you work on it everyday for a few hours.

Another tip, try on a piece of scrap wood about the same size as a stock so you get a feel for what you are doing before you attempt on your nice stock.

I hope this helps, PM me if you have questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.