Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to add some weight to my Perazzi Stock. I was planning to use a copper pipe filled with lead.
It will rest against the front post of my comb at the 4" point.........is that a bad idea?

Any suggestions? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
I got the biggest mercury tube I could find (I think 12oz?) And it works great. I've had the same idea as you though, copper pipe and lead shot. A wine cork works great to fill in the space between your weight and the butt pad

·
Premium Member
1,174 Posts
I had to have weight in both of my old Perazzi's and I just took them down to Phillip and let him drill the stock to the 7/8 dia. and shoved it in. I don't know how much weight you need or want but I put 14oz in mine. We slid the weight in, secured said weight and was outta there in 30 minutes. Have it professionally done and you won't have to mess with it any more. JMHO

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I'm concerned about any type of weight resting against the bottom comb post....it comes down nearly to the bottom of the stock bolt hole. Does anyone think that could cause a problem?

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
I'm concerned about resting any type of weight resting against the bottom comb post....it comes down nearly to the bottom of the stock bolt hole. Does anyone think that could cause a problem?
PM Tron and ask him.

·
Trump2020
741 Posts
I use the copper pipe and lead method. I melt the lead with a torch that way you get a lot more per volume. It's cheap and you can make it any weight you want.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have added weight to both of my guns. In my 3200 I used a piece of clear plastic tubing ,( one that fits inside the stock bolt hole ), and filled it with shot then sealed both ends off with glue. On my 90T the bolt hole was larger so I was able to load 2 dead shells all with shot, crimp them and glued the ends, then I grounded down the rim of the brass base so they slid inside the hole.

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
Put some lead shot in a double plastic bag, put the bag in a cotton sock, the extra sock will wad up and push the weight forward. I had a sporting gun that kicked like a mule and that "temporary" fix lasted several years. I took it out when I traded off the gun.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sent my stock to Tron on a Tues. got it back the next Mon.! Work is first class & just the right amount of weight added. Thanks Joe!

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Tungsten is the way to go. Its about 3/4 more dense than lead. I found a place online that sold it as crankshaft weights. Find a diameter that fits your bolt hole and order them. Mine were 7/8 dia by 1/2" thick and were 2.9 ounces a piece.

Mi-Tech Metals - Crankshaft Weight Store

Stuck some soft foam in with them so they wouldn't rattle around and worked like a charm.

·
Premium Member
4,387 Posts
Sent my stock to Tron on a Tues. got it back the next Mon.! Work is first class & just the right amount of weight added. Thanks Joe!
You are very lucky it didn`t come back covered in cat hair and smelling of shrimp flavored kitty treats .

·
Registered
4,113 Posts
h44, I would not do that. I tried several ways of adding weight to the stock and settled on one that worked perfectly. Lead, Tungsten, etc. are not the way to go unless you want to add boatloads of weight. I had my Perazzi stock hole bored to 1" with a flat bottom. I then had a 1" diameter steel rod machined with a hole bored through the middle. The rear was tapped and threaded for a 1/4x20 screw. The length was such that the cylinder rested on the wood of the stock and the rear came to within 1/4" of the end of the stock. One layer of thin tape around the circumference front and rear made the cylinder a push fit. There was no wiggle. A piece of garden hose cut to fit between the end of the cylinder and the butt plate kept the rod from moving under recoil. I added 15oz total weight. The hole bored through the center allowed be to use the stock wrench without removing the weight. The 1/4 screw, once inserted into the rear of the rod allowed me to pull it out easily when desired.

You definitely do not want loose shot or malleable metal touching other metal in the stock, and you definitely do not want the weight to move, even a little. Don't ask how I know this.

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
I used something called a "Dead Mule" been in the stock for 40 years. Back end held in place by the recoil pad. Seems to do the job just fine

·
Registered
493 Posts
I also use a Dead Mule in my Beretta 682. It came with a piece of hose for placing at the front end to adjust the fit to prevent movement. The back of the Dead Mule is positioned against the recoil pad. It weighs 7 ounces. I received my Dead Mule as a gift and they aren't exactly cheap. There are less expensive ways to add weight to your stock.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts