Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16,724 Posts
For the record, just about any small diameter wad works. I myself prefer the TGT clone from Downrange. It goes in easy and shoots just fine. And the price is good.

This is in a one ounce load with Titewad. If you use PB or other bulky powder you may have to go to F8 size.

Lots of good wads out there. If it fits you're on the right track.

HM

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've been reloading with a variety of Claybuster wads - CB1118-12 (WAA12 replacement), CB0118-12 (WT12 replacement) and CB4118-12B (WTW12 replacement) and a 1 1/8 oz load of lead with 17.2-18.3 grains of RedDot (heavier drop for winter shooting). With all the wads I've been getting great breaks at the 16 yard line, havent made it out to the 27 yard line yet, but I'm working my way out there.

Best of luck and break 'em all!

Jan

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
There is really no one "best"wad.

Some of my 1 oz loads use the Downrange XL-1 (same ballistics as WAA12SL), some use the RT-12 (TGT-12 clone). My bigger bullets use the "Figure 8" or the Downrange version of it.

MK

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
TGT-12 for some 7/8oz and all 1 oz, plus 1 1/8oz if a dense powder.

Fig-8 for 1 1/8oz

12S0 for 7/8ox at 1150fps to 1200fps, else DRM XXL pink.

Windjammer 1 1/8oz work well.

Nothing else is as consistent, or works as well in my guns. Yes, I patterned, and yes, I chrono'd.

Your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
Ed:

Like coughsneezy, I use a lot of Claybuster (CB) wads. My preference is either Figure 8 clones or CB's proprietary White 8 wad. Both work exceptionally well.

I use CB's clone of the WAA12SL for one ounce loads. However, that is only out of habit because I've used them in AA hulls for years and years.

I wouldn't hesitate to use CB's one ounce TGT12 clone in Gun Clubs, STS, or Nitros. They're good in AA's as well.

sissy

·
Registered
840 Posts
1 oz loads = Downrange XL1

1 1/8 = Figure 8 or Downrange Clone

My pet singles load:

17.2 17.5 gr. Clays/Claydot

DR XL-1

1 oz. Shot

Win or Noble Sport Primer

1225 fps/9400 psi (lab tested by downrange manf.)

VAPORIZES targets with a .027 choke in a CG Summit.

·
Premium Member
11,864 Posts
Lots of good wads out there. Best? That's in the eye of the beholder.

Like some of the others noted above, I like the Downrange XL-1 for my 1 ounce loads with Hodgdon Clays, and the Downrange RT-12 for my handicap loads with Hodgdon Titegroup.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
The RT-12 as pictured in the web site measures 1.805" OA (± .010-.015" (depending on which petals you measure off of) and the shot cup measure .805" deep (again depending on the petal you use).

The RT-12 and the RF-8 (F-8 clone) share the same size shot cup. The RF-8 is ± 1.675" OA. The difference in length between the 2 is in the crush section.

MK

·
Premium Member
11,864 Posts
One is technically a 1-1/8 ounce wad (Figure 8/RF-8), the other is technically a 1 ounce wad (TGT-12/RT-12.)

However, if you use a really dense powder like Hodgdon Titegroup, the TGT-12 works well as a 1-1/8 ounce wad.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I've had good luck with Rem Figure 8's or the equivalent clone, like many other posters here have as well. I use Red Dot for my trap loads if if makes any difference.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.