Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just started to shoot double trap and trying to decide which is best type of sight/gun combination. I had been shooting a Browning Ultra for singles and was pretty consistant missing the occational straight-away shot. Unfortunatly this is typically your first shot on doubles. I have not tried the Ultra for doubles yet mainly because this problem. I have been using a skeet gun with modified chokes and have a high precentage hit on the first bird, the second, is about 50%. Obviously practice and experience will overcome most of this but my question is whats better for doubles:

1) medium high rib, long barrel
2) low rib, short barrel

Thanks

Rick

·
Registered
11,024 Posts
You need a few things to be successful shooting doubles.

1. A gun that is set up for your style of shooting pairs.

2. Most people shoot a rising first bird and a flat second bird. So you need a gun with a first barrel that has a high POI and a second barrel that shoots flat.

3. If you shoot fast a skeet choke or IC works fine for the first bird and a modified or IM choke for the second bird is good.

4. Ammo, a light 1 oz load of 8s for the first bird and a heavy load of 7 1/2s for the second bird can give you an advantage.

Those are some of the things you should consider when getting set up for doubles.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One article the I read said that the top barrel typically shoots flat and the lower shoots high. I normally shoot the lower first, upper second which sounds like the right choice. I have been using modified on both but perhaps this isnt the best choice. I think one of my biggest challenges is that the first shot bounces/moves the butt of the gun a bit and its changing my second shot.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Browning has a Kick-Ez and the Trap gun which is a Weatherby Athena has the stock Weatherby pad. Its not firm like the Kick-Ez, this one is very soft with lots of chambers that you can see through. The shoulder side is ribbed.

Rick

·
Registered
11,024 Posts
There are a couple of things you can do.

1. Add some weight to the gun, both front and rear.

2. Use a light load for the first shot.

These two things will reduce recoil and make the gun more stable. HMB

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.