Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Best Triggers for Rem 700

What are your experiences with replacement triggers? I know Jewell's are said to be the best. I want to replace also due to having old style safety. It will be for a Rem 700, ADL, 6mm, and used for hunting.

·
Registered
6,075 Posts
I have several Timneys and find them to be great. In addition to better functioning, they offer a wider trigger blade that makes the trigger feel even lighter and crisper.

Ed

·
Registered
538 Posts
Try a Rifle Basix L-1, I have used them on my hunting BDLs for years. They are easy to install. If you order from their web site you can even specify the pull weight. The jewells are nice for target rifles, but for a hunting rifle the Rifle Basix is half the cost and just as good.

·
Registered
308 Posts
The older Rem. 700s had a realy good factory trigger just get a gunsmith to lighten it up a bit --for a hunting rifle they will ajust down to about 2 lbs

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
There is really nothing wrong with the factory trigger on a 700. It is very adjustable and better than the most demanding shooter needs on a hunting gun. Target guns and long range varmint guns are another matter.

jim brown

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the responses. I will admit that the factory trigger is actually pretty good. Probably the biggest reason I wanted to change is for the safety feature. You have to safety off to operate bolt and I thought about changing so you could operate bolt with the safety on. Can you modify the existing trigger/safety to achieve this? I wanted to do this before the gun was passed down to my son, just for added safety.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
The modern trigger from Remington is very good as well as the above.
The original trigger properly serviced.

Joe Woods/Ontario

·
Registered
13,892 Posts
If you're just looking to update to the new style safety:

http://www.trapshooters.com/noframes/cfpages/thread.cfm?threadid=310255&Messages=3

·
Registered
10,458 Posts
The jewel and Timney are top shelf. Hoever a rifle basix is a lot less $$ and a darned good trigger that a dummy can install. I have done three and have been extremely happy

·
Registered
969 Posts
I think the basic M700 trigger for hunting is excellent. I have a Jewell on a match quality (it is-I'm not) .338-06 with Sako action. It is slightly better but the M700 triggers at 2 lbs is excellent and easy to get and maintain.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Again thanks for the replies. I have hunted with this rifle mostly for the last 32 years and don't have a problem with the safety. My son does know the safety rules but for some reason I feel better knowing you don't have to safety off when operating the bolt. I had heard before you could file off a tab, but wasn't sure about it. I've also read the horror stories about them firing when operating the bolt. I may just try to file the tab like mentioned.

·
Banned
145 Posts
I'm going to show my age with this post. I have a trigger made by the late Paul Olewine from Harrisburg Pa. It will adjust from 2oz to 1lb. The gun is a "tight necked, .264" 6X47, 222 mag necked up to 6MM. It will shoot .200 one hole groups all day long with WW748. One problem with WW748 is powder residue buildup in the shoulder area of the case. This usually occurs after 7 or 8 firings. If you notice your groups opening up or unexplained fliers, full lenth resize and shake the flakes out. For those that full lenth resize all the time you probably won't experience this problem. Good shooting to all! Tony Generose

·
Banned
145 Posts
Has anyone tried H4895 with 55 grain bullets or H322 with lighter bullets, 50 or 52 grain? Does anyone use a Lyman 55 powder measurer with a Homer Culver insert to reload with? I have never used a powder scale to reload with, just the clicks on the culver. Kept an eye on the primer to check for pressure. Radius on the primer, pressure OK. No radius or flat against primer pocket, back off the powder or shorten overall lenth if bullet was touching the rifleing. Usually got best results when powder was just at the base of neck, never had much luck with compressed loads.
Tony Generose

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.