Trapshooters Forum banner
41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
The BEST trap gun has yet to be made! If it were, every competitive shooter would own and shoot one. The best is a matter of opinion, and opinions are like................ you know the rest.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Buy the best gun you can afford and get it fitted to your dimensions by someone who knows how to do that properly. Take no notice of suggestions thrown out by other shooters unless they are at the top of the game.
There are many decent used trap guns out there as members here have commented on. Browning 725's Beretta 682's or 686's are just a couple that come to mind and if you can afford to buy a used Perazzi MX8 it will be a great long term investment.
Devonian.

·
Registered
867 Posts
I own shotguns that price out from around $300 to $13,000, not a single one of those guns has improved my score. All I can say is the $13,000 gun is a blast to trigger pull on while on station and the $300 gun will keep the zombie's at bay. Devonian's advice is good advice, buy the best gun you can afford and get it fitted by someone who knows how to do that properly.
Dennis

·
Registered
4,753 Posts
I was talking with a pistol builder earlier today, before we talked long he brought up that "shooters today want to buy scores!". He was talking about shooters that new to the sport, that want to buy a magic pistol that will put them with the big dogs without having to work for it.

Heck its money in the sellers pocket when a buyer has this attitude.

It is the number of rounds sent down range with a purpose that has the biggest effect on scores and averages! Not a dollar sign on the delivery system!

One of the biggest of the big dogs went to the top and stayed there using an 1100 Remington. Yet few will mention the 1100 as a great trap gun.

Al

·
Premium Member
4,871 Posts
My Bi-Star "Lamby Special" just keeps on racking up impressive target totals . It has an impressive fan base also . Isn`t that right Ram Rod ?.......

·
Registered
983 Posts
I am new to the sport. Looking back, if you were purchasing your first trap gun. What would you have done differently and why?
What would I have done differently in purchasing a gun you ask?

I wouldn't have bought one. Instead, I'd have listened to people on this List who say Trap shooting is way to expensive.

Instead I would have purchased a horse for pleasure riding, a Harley along with a new $60,000 pickup truck to haul it, and a new 38' Bertram for offshore fishing.

However, I didn't follow their advice and bought a lightly used Browning BT-99 for $900. Great gun, best thing I could have bought as a newbie no regrets. I shot it for about 3 years, figured out what I wanted instead and sold it for $800. See -- I told you trap shooting is expensive -- I lost a freaking $100 on that gun. :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Start with whatever you can and go from there. You might figure out which one is best as you go through none, or many.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am new to the sport. Looking back, if you were purchasing your first trap gun. What would you have done differently and why?
I can tell you that expensive guns are not always the best guns(for you)....I had/have my dad's Perazzi's...3 of them...couldn't shoot them worth a _. I shoot a Browning....the Perazzi's stay in my safe....my setpmom won everything there was to win( Sports Affield) all American for a couple years in the late 60's early 70's....she shoot an 1100...yep...Remington 1100....nobody(female) could touch her

·
Registered
17 Posts
I never shot much trap until I retired, but I did a lot of bird hunting.
I got a Micro BT-99 , it fits me perfect. So I do not plan on replacing it soon.
The gun still shoots better than I do.
You would never know by looking at me that I would require a 13-3/4" lop .
Browning made it easy, they make the BT-99 in 3 different LOP's
In my experience getting a shotgun shortened is not such a simple deal.
Most "gunsmiths" these days build AR's or handguns, finding one to fit a shotgun is not easy.
Back in the day I cut my own shotguns, and they looked like I did it ;(
Answer is "one that fits"

·
Registered
18 Posts
That's a no-brainer, it would be a Krieghoff if you can afford one, If not get the one you can afford until you can afford the Krieghoff.

·
Registered
18 Posts
That's a no-brainer, it would be a Krieghoff if you can afford one, If not get the one you can afford until you can afford the Krieghoff.

·
Registered
18 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Did you note the common denominator in most of all the responses? Do yourself the biggest favor to help you progress and be less frustrated in your shooting adventure - wait for it, wait for it... make sure the gun fits you, period. You can read any shotgun or stock fitting book and every expert will plead with you to make sure your gun fits, whether an autoloader or break open gun, the latter being preferred for trap. If you can find a stock fitter with a "try gun" (has a bunch of adjustments) that would be the best. It costs a few bucks, but well worth the cost.

·
Registered
35 Posts
First it depends on how much money you wanna spend but you can always use a double barrel or a single barrel either way it works

·
Registered
35 Posts
If you are just going to be a casual clay shooter a browning o/u cx with do the trick, once you get serious about trap then the sky is the limit, like most of us you will have owned at least 6 or 7 different guns within the first couple years, heck that's half the fun of trap shooting, pound them hard and let us know what you spent your hard earned $$$'s on.
Yes you are correct I bought my first Browning over under and still have it today of one of my favorite trap guns for singles and doubles I do own a KX5 trap gun

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just don't ever buy a Gun someone is selling at the Tri State Range! My Husband has bought two different Trap Guns both pieces of Crap. People are NOT honest at all about the guns!
Go buy a new one! 🙏🐈
Yes you are correct I bought my first Browning over under and still have it today of one of my favorite trap guns for singles and doubles I do own a KX5 trap gun
My Husband Loves his Browning Citore! It's a Sporting gun not a trap gun.
He shoots the Best With it waiting on his Beretta Gun he got Scammed On! Very Sad! 💔🙊

41 - 60 of 64 Posts