Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am new to the sport. Looking back, if you were purchasing your first trap gun. What would you have done differently and why?

·
Registered
65 Posts
It’s like asking what’s the best car)) those who drove Mercedes AMG and BMW M3 will never settle down for Toyota even though Toyota is an amazing car. They all will get you from a to b but they also will just feel different. Same with shotguns . I had 25 straight with remington 870 with citori 725 and Perazzi. All good guns but all different as day and night. Would i shoot Remington 870 for scores? Absolutely not.
You budget will play a big role in your choice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
65 Posts
Some guns will fit you naturally some will need tweaking and adjustments. I am assuming you just entering the sport. The best thing to do is go to you local club/s and talk to as many people as possible and ask to hold and handle as many guns as possible and see what feels right what not. Shoot some then evaluate again what feels right what not

If you are new to sport first year you’ll be learning yourself, how you behave and react. What might feel right at first eventually can change 180 degrees down the road. Learn yourself!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,318 Posts
So many criteria to look at and probably differs a lot for people. After looking at a lot of my criteria, I decided to go with a Kolar. I just ordered it and can’t wait to get it!

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
I found that I like the Beretta 68x action. I started off with a 682 top single and O/U barrels combo.
Later discovered that I like shooting an Unsingle. So when Beretta stopped making 682, I purchased Joel Etchen's 687s. I got the unsingle and the O/U. This way each gun is a back up for the other. I also like the Precision Fit Stock that I have on the unsingle.

So know what I know now, I would have just gotten 2 Beretta 68xs from the get go.

Jason

·
Registered
8,062 Posts
I bought my very first shotgun to shoot trap because that's what I was introduced to shotgun sport.
It was a MX8B with 29.5" O/U, 30+ years and couple dozen shotguns later, I'm still shooting approx. the same kind of gun. MX8 based guns in 29.5" or 30" O/U, playing around couple 32~34" unsingle in between.

So if you ask me if I'd start over again, I can tell you I'll still get the same gun like what I started with.

·
Registered
10,974 Posts
Assuming you are seeking some insight and really are looking for opinions, your question covers a lot of territory . First off are you going to shoot doubles or just singles. If doubles are in the mix I would say any gun you choose will have to shoot twice. Also it would depend on your budget. Trapshooting is not a cheap game and your budget is going to include money for travel, entries, and ammo. My advice is buy whatever you ca afford and fits you fairly well but, if the gun does not have an adjustable comb it is a wise investment. I wouldn't go whole hog and top dollar on a gun until you get some targets under your belt. A lot of shooters go through 2 or 3 guns before they find their main trap gun. In closing I will tell you what one of the greatest trapshooters the sport has ever known told me. There are 4 things a trap gun should have. It must be dependable, have a good trigger, and a decent choke , but the most important thing is the gun must fit the shooter. Welcome to a great sport and good luck.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I am new to the sport. Looking back, if you were purchasing your first trap gun. What would you have done differently and why?
I'm a total novice to trap shooting, but I got my hands on a 20ga 1100. I think it's perfect for me for fit, weight and recoil. It will be quite some time before I get good enough to need a "better gun" to have as much fun as I am having with this one. I'm only $300 into this gun, so if I ever move up it stays in the family.
Good luck finding a gun that makes you this happy.

·
Registered
15 Posts
If I could hit the wayback machine with Mr. Peabody, I would have a few suggestions for myself. The first would be don't buy your first gun off the interweb, but to go buy it in person....and make sure to get a gun that fits, or can be fitted to you. Buying rifles and pistols off the web, ok..shotguns not so much. I would tell me to look for an adjustable comb,, buttplate, and LOP for better shoulder mounting and POA/POI efficientcy and consistancy. , A nice middle bead, screw in chokes and porting would all be worth the money. I would tell myself that a fitted $300 gun will outscore a $3k gun that does not fit all day long. I would also tell myself that most of the Brownings have less drop then a Beretta or Remington, so long necked or fat faced people can run into issues sometimes. I would suggest to myself to look on the local sites and boards at the range, and ask around if anyone local is selling.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
My first gun for trap in 1981 was a Model 12 with Simmons vented rib and Winchester trap wood that I did up myself from a field gun. Shot it great and still have the gun,
Moved to a BT99 and shot it great and had to have a release put in it because of all the shells and quite a few extra heavies I started to flinch and I still have the gun.
16 or so years off and I come back to shooting the BT99 for registered singles and handicap and shoot my Charles Daly O/U field gun for doubles with pull triggers, what a disaster my doubles were. Friend had a like new Angelo Bee engraved MX8 and it was a 3 barrel set. I just loved looking at that gun in it's custom case. Got pretty serious about registered my first year into it and bought that MX8 and had released triggers put into it by P&P Gunsmithing. Still have that gun.
Decided if I was going to be serious I needed a back up gun, I knew about a Angelo Bee engraved MX8 with Gold Inlays in Maine that was advertised years ago in ATA Magazine. Talked to the guy and he wasn't interested in my offer but I left him my number and told him if he wanted to sell it someday the offer was good. He called maybe a year later and needed to sell it. Had it shipped out and he told me a shoot it and if I liked it he'd cash my check. Took it to a registered shoot and after shooting my own MX8 I asked to shoot a practice 27 yard with a different gun. Broke a 25 straight with it and when I got home called him and told him to cash the check. I still have that gun.
Looked at K-80's and liked them, shot them well but didn't see making a change from my MX8's which I've shot real well over the years. Haven't had any issues with them really and Phillip keeps them in great shape for me. I've kind of ruined myself for wanting to purchase a different gun by purchasing a quality Perazzi that I shoot real well. Plus I have a 2nd gun of the same more or less vintage that swings the same and balances the same. I've added Precision Fit Stocks and put a Baker undersingle barrel on the gun I shoot for singles and handicap. Other than that I enjoy shooting my guns and have them insured with Gun and Trophy and that gives me peace of mind. Life is good,

PD

·
Registered
346 Posts
buy a browning bt-99 single barrel or browning citori O/U. This is the most common entry level/blue collar gun there is. Easy to sell if you want to upgrade or get out of it. Do not buy the tri star crap. I know its tempting because of the sticker price but just dont do it.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Looking back I would not have "half stepped"!! I would have saved a lot of money if I had tried (not bought) more guns and knew more! I should have tried K80s and Pguns (there weren't many options for 3 dicipline guns). Try what you consider the top 3 and buy one!

1 - 20 of 61 Posts