Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who are your favorite pedal or non-pedal steel players of all time. I'll start off with Don Helms-Hank Williams, Sr.-non-pedal. Jimmy Day and Buddy Emmons, who were both pedal steel players for Ray Price, and a host of others.

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
Man, they say the memory goes first.LOL I played a few times years ago with a guy who ran a Peadl steel shop and taught in Orange county Va I think his name was Buddy Charlleton ,Great Country and Jazz player. Damn tough in a duel ! Jeff

·
Premium Member
18,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pig Robbins played piano. His first gig was a George Jones session, where they tried to record 'White Lightning'. George was drunk, as usual, and it took 64 takes to get the song recorded. About 1960.
Buddy Charleton was great. Played for Ernest Tubb after Buddy Emmons left in 1962. Buddy and Leon Rhodes played some great stuff together for Ernest. Buddy retired back to Virginia, to help his Dad, who was a brick layer. Gave lessons for years.

·
Premium Member
18,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, you are right. How about Jerry Byrd.

·
Premium Member
18,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea Moon was great. He also wrote 'Crazy Arms'.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Those early Eddy Arnold songs from mid to late 40's had that unmistakable sound of Little Roy Wiggins along with George Morgan when Roy Wiggins played steel for him! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzuk_xGUJb0 Also no doubt that Leon Mcauliff had sooooooooooooo big a part in the Bob Will's Western Swing sound!!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KRLUZBs7aU

·
Premium Member
18,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Great choices. I'll name some more for you. Johnny Seibert- Carl Smith, Hal Rugg- George Jones and then Loretta Lynn, Weldon Myrick-Connie Smith, Kitty Wells-Shot Jackson, Russ Hicks, Ben Keith- Patsy Cline, Lloyd Green-Tammy Wynette, Johnny Paycheck etc. He had perfect pitch. Doug Jarnigan-Faron Young. Just to name a few.

·
Registered
577 Posts
How about a trapshooter by the name of Tim Lusby great guy played with his band at the Grand a few years ago!
TNCoach

·
Premium Member
18,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for that address ken1okie. Lot of great sounds on there. Speedy played on Loretta Lynn's first record- ****** Tonk Girl. Great player.

·
Registered
21 Posts
BOB COUCH ... WASHINGTON, MO

PLAYED MANY JOBS WITH HIM ... MEMORIES OF "STEEL GUITAR RAG" ... WOW!

LARRY D. ALFERMANN

1 - 18 of 18 Posts