Trapshooters Forum banner

Best state for Out of state Mule deer hunting

5180 33
Hey fellas,

My 11 year old is having an absolute fixation on Mule deer, we live in Kentucky and she’s taken a nice whitetail, but now her top of the list animal is a nice muley. I’ve never hunted for them, or anything other than ky game for that matter, any advice on where to start looking? It’ll be a few years before we’re really ready to go, but I would love to take her out west to find a decent deer one day.

Smokey
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Registered
12,996 Posts
Some good hunting in a lot of the western states .Colorado has some heavy populations, so does Idaho. Montana also. I have a fiend who has a small ranch in Mt. He kills a Mullie every year there. Probably too late for a good draw this year .Most good draws in most places are early spring. Good luck to your daughter. Hope you get to make some great memories with her.

· Registered
6,577 Posts
Arizona mullies are hard to beat.
But for someone that doesn't spend a lot of time living with those deer. I would recommend getting in with a good guide. Those aren't guaranteed hunts but someone that spends a great deal of time learning where the deer are and how to approach them takes a lot of guess work out of going far from for seven to fourteen days and hoping for luck.

While Arizona has a lot of public lands other states do not and the guides can be worth their weight in gold just knowing where you can hunt and where you can't.

Check with the San Carlos and Whiteriver Apache tribes. Their permits come with guides the tribe supplies and the success rates are fairly high. Costs are high but not unreasonably so.

Al

· Registered
1,025 Posts
Arizona mullies are hard to beat.
But for someone that doesn't spend a lot of time living with those deer. I would recommend getting in with a good guide. Those aren't guaranteed hunts but someone that spends a great deal of time learning where the deer are and how to approach them takes a lot of guess work out of going far from for seven to fourteen days and hoping for luck.

While Arizona has a lot of public lands other states do not and the guides can be worth their weight in gold just knowing where you can hunt and where you can't.

Check with the San Carlos and Whiteriver Apache tribes. Their permits come with guides the tribe supplies and the success rates are fairly high. Costs are high but not unreasonably so.

Al
Arizona deer? How do they taste?

· Registered
36,795 Posts

Reactions: Big Az Al

· Registered
744 Posts
Nice thing is you have time. I personally like wyoming If it were me I would start buying points for the two of you now! That way in two or three years you should be able to draw a general tag. I pay a trespass fee of 600 per person for the ranch we hunt. Unfortunately they don’t allow gun hunting for us. But reasonable trips are possible.

· Registered
6,577 Posts
Arizona deer? How do they taste?
Desert mullies out of mesquite thickets are the best, at least to me. Any deer that comes out of the scrub oak is nearly as good. Deer coming out of juniper is just not worth it.

Al

· Premium Member
30,370 Posts
  • Wow
Reactions: Chance McCall

· Registered
2,071 Posts
I would cross out Wa Id and Or. Mt is making it rough on out of Staters. If it was my money I would look at UT and Wy and Co

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.