Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shooters and Gun collectors,
Please share your advice as to your recommended sources such as books or web sites that you prefer to use when appraising used firearms . I am interested in a source for older guns manufactured in the United States. Thanks for your opinions !!!
Best Regards,
AMARMA

· Registered
4,109 Posts
I will order the 41st edition of Blue Book as you have advised. Thanks !!!
Keep in mind that the BLUE book is worthless Unless you read all the chapters about buying selling and evaluating firearms.
Including how to evaluate condition, rarity, desirability, how prices vary across the Country etc. When you read and understand the details you will then be able to start evaluating prices.

· Registered
15,223 Posts
If you want to know the value of the gun, find comparable ones that SOLD in the gunbroker completed listings. The true value of something is what someone else will pay you for it, NOT what some "expert" printed in a book.

The Blue Book is a good reference for information, and a starting point for values, but the values listed should be considered a ROUGH estimate, NOT a definitive number. The BB does not (and cannot since it's a physical printed book) account for market fluctuations and regional differences. It won't tell you that the value of many Remington firearms went up 50-100% in value due to the bankruptcy, it won't tell you that many handguns and AR15 style rifles went up in value 100-500% in the past 12 months. The value of something today could be WILDLY different than what was put in a book 12-18 months ago, even if you have the most current edition of said book.

Most owner's also overgrade and consequently overvalue their guns.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
www.gunvaluesboard.com. Another resource. Especially good for Winchester guns as there is a guy in there that knows them inside out and top to bottom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Great !!! Thanks .... I will check it out . Any chance you know who the shooter is on this forum that sold shotgun barrel micrometers, in various gauges. It has been many years ago and I am not sure if he still sells them . I remember he provided a nice wooden box to protect them . If you recall who it was and could forward a name or phone number it would be greatly appreciated !!! Thanks for the info on www.gunvalueboard.com.

· Registered
15,223 Posts
Does the online version of the BB reflect more current prices as opposed to the printed version? Anyone made any comparisons?
It would be completely dependent on how often they update the numbers and where they source their data from. You could ask them both.

Unless they are doing it on at least a monthly, and preferably weekly basis, it will still fall short on some guns.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.