Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Sponsors a Reloaders for Youth Program
11,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About mid-winter my hands and feet start to bleed from the cold, dry weather. This stuff is great. I put it on before going to bed and sometimes during the day if I forget at night. Problem solved. You can get it at Jewel in the hair care section. It smells like talc which I don't mind.

You can ignore the back of the label which says, "Great for dreadlocks and other styling needs." I decided to try it in my hair. How do you think it looks?

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Use whatever works for you. The skin on my thumbs will dry and I get cracks at the ends of the thumbs where the nail ends. These use to get deep and they would bleed and be quite painful. I started using Nutrogena hand cream and it beat all the other skin lotions that I had ever tried. With the dryer humidity of the winter months and the wearing of gloves our hands do dry out more than any other time of year. I have never tried the above product. When mine stops working for me I think I'll give it a go. It's painful to work with your hands when you have splits in the thumbs that are swollen and bleeding.:(

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
My wife buys me "crack cream". I think she thought the name was cute.

Anyway it saved my hands when I delivered mail.

Bill

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
A bit off topic, but does speak of cold weather.

I am reading a book on the real life accounts of slaves, taken from a traveling study done by Indiana University in I believe, 1939.

One account from about 1865, as told by the ex-slave himself, says that he was a very small child, his mother was sold off to another plantation, and he was left alone, forced to do as much work as he could.

One day, when his master's wife realized he did not answer the morning work horn at 4:00 am, she went to his shack to find him frozen to the bed.

She carried him(I think he said he was nine years old) to her house and placed him by a large barrel fire for warmth.

As his feet warmed, his toes fell off from frostbite. She nursed him to health, and had a special pair of shoes made for him, because he had no toes.

He said they tried to sell him on the block, but the money had to be returned when the new owner found out about his feet.

I'll have to re-think about complaining when I get cold.

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
Geez beave couldn't you post something more depressing? that image will stay with me for a while this morning.

Bill

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
In my opinion the best winter hand care for dry cracking hands is "O'Keefe's Working Hands". It's not cheap at around $7 per container but a little goes a long way. I work with oil, grease and anything else a tractor leeks. I get those painful cracks on the end of my fingers from some of the fluids drying out my hands. My pharmacist recommended I try this stuff. Within a few days, the cracks were healing up and were no longer sore. The stuff has no scent at all. Good stuff.

·
Molon Labe
11,990 Posts
Cornhuskers lotion

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Back on topic, my Mother-in-Law told me about Coconut oil, or cream, for dry skin, and it helps heal, also.

We tried some on a wart on my Granddaughter's finger, and in 3-4 weeks, it was gone, completely.

I use some the wife bought that has a bit of lime, and I like the aroma,along with the soothing coolness.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts