Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son is 13. Currently shooting an skb. He is shooting it well but the gun probably isn't going to hold up for to many more years. I am looking at getting him a higher end gun that will work well for both singles and doubles. He shoots a flat rib better than a high rib gun. Any suggestions welcome. Thanks

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I'm a Browning & Beretta man my self but I have seen a lot of ( I know I will be getting a lot of tongue lashing ) but I have been seeing
a lot of them $1500.00 Tristar combos out there and not hearing to many complaints about them. He could always up grade after collage.

·
Registered
340 Posts
My Dad bought a Perazzi MX8 combo for me when I was 13. I am 51 years old now. Almost 40 years later I am still shooting it. I shoot about 10,000 registered targets per year and about 200 practice targets per week. It's still going strong.

So I guess my suggestion is to buy once and cry once. Seems like an MX-8 may fit his application as well.

Good luck.

·
Registered
6,573 Posts
My son is 13. Currently shooting an skb. He is shooting it well but the gun probably isn't going to hold up for to many more years. I am looking at getting him a higher end gun that will work well for both singles and doubles. He shoots a flat rib better than a high rib gun. Any suggestions welcome. Thanks
There are a lot of options out there. One thing that would help is your budget.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
It's a long ways from now through college. Young men's interest often change in high school so I wouldn't
buy a real expensive gun now.

As previously recommended, Browning CXT is probably the best bang for the buck if it fits him. I have a Browning trap model that was manufactured in 1981.
It's still a great gun. I also have a Beretta, Zoli and B. Rizzini. The Browning will hang with any of them.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Lots of great options for you. Is there a local club where your son could try a couple different guns? Get something that he can grow into. Gun fit is going to be very important. Do you live in an area that has a good gun fitter? Ask a lot of questions at your club. Getting a tool that works for your son is the key.

Welcome to the forum. Good luck

Bud

·
Registered
287 Posts
It has been already pointed out, but it will really benefit your son to shoot the different manufactures of guns out there. Fit is huge. The best shoot to try out any type of gun out there would be The Grand if you want to wait that long.

·
Registered
906 Posts
You stated he would use it for singles and doubles so the CXT with 30” barrels would be an excellent choice. But of course you would want to have it fit to him. If he starts shooting handicap st some point the CXT will be more than adequate to at least the 23 yard line. As stated by some others, at this stage of his shooting career it would be foolish to spend a boatload of money on a high end gun.

·
Registered
369 Posts
You cant beat a Browning 725 combo from Guns Unlimited for $4,300. Joel Etchen has Beretta 687 E combo for $4,900. These two guns will be good for starting out with and WHEN he wants a new gun you can trade or sell these for a couple hundred dollars less than what you paid.

·
Registered
467 Posts
if he is shooting it well, keep shooting that skb...especially if it is 1 from the Japan era. My brother has been shooting about 5000 registered a year for the last 15 years and it has held up really well. his is a 685 or a 585. I don't think he has even changed a firing pin

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.