Trapshooters Forum banner

Best recoil device

5449 Views 36 Replies 29 Participants Last post by  cmccoy76
I will be carrying my daughter's Beretta to the grand to put something on to lesson shoulder reciol.
It's a Beretta o/u and she's a lefty.
The comb hasn't been cut and dosen't need it.
She had a bad cant so I twisted the pad to the left by drilling an extra hole to give it a twist.
She shoots good and it's not in her face but kicks her shoulder.
Its cut off about 13.25"
What would be something to tame it down.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

· Administrator
9,667 Posts
Ultimately a RAD 2 or a Gracoil. THe RAD 2 offers a lot of advantages in ease of adjustment.

I also have a softouch on a ljutic that I really like but way more dollars and longer wait time.

IF you ave looking to have something done at the Grand than the RAD or the Gracoil will be the best.

· Registered
36,821 Posts
Falcon Strike. You install it in 5 minutes, no need to cut or drill the wood, you can remove if you sell the gun or sell it with the gun. Has a satisfaction guarantee or you get your money back. It works.

· Registered
680 Posts
What recoil pad is she using? If it's a Kickeez you need to get rid of it!! It's the most overrated pad for recoil reduction there is. Try an ISIS XPad, best pad for recoil reduction(I'm EXTREMELY recoil sensitive and have tried them ALL, the XPAD is the best). The pad is very light so you can add a mercury recoil reducer in the stock to make up for the weight difference and maintain the same gun weight and balance, or adding an adjustable butt plate will do the same thing and give her the ability to get a better gun fit which will help greatly. Link here for the XPAD:

Recoil Systems

I also recommend the PFS if she needs more, that's what I use along with the XPad. The combo is a dream for recoil reduction

Be aware that the PFS as well as any other recoil device you have installed will add weight to butt end and change the gun balance greatly. The XPad will help offset any added weight(the Microcell pad is also very light, but it doesn't have nearly the recoil reduction of the XPad) .

· Premium Member
30,370 Posts
I will be carrying my daughter's Beretta to the grand to put something on to lesson shoulder reciol.
It's a Beretta o/u and she's a lefty.
The comb hasn't been cut and dosen't need it.
She had a bad cant so I twisted the pad to the left by drilling an extra hole to give it a twist.
She shoots good and it's not in her face but kicks her shoulder.
Its cut off about 13.25"
What would be something to tame it down.
Friend of mine put a PFS on his daughter’s shotgun. She put up a 100 straight with it soon after and now shoots on a college team for the University of Alabama. The 100 straight put her name on the wall at the club, only the second name up there. Hers and Stacy Rehor are the only female straights on the clubhouse wall.

· Registered
2,393 Posts
I have a PFS stock and really like it. I got mine for recoil reduction but what is really nice is you can adjust everything to fit perfectly. They are not for everybody though. Watch for a nice price on a used one here on the forum but know you might have to get a grip for the Beretta.

You did not mention what ammo you are using. Simply dropping down to 1 oz. or slowing down the velocity if you are shooting 1 1/8 oz. loads. I'd start there first.

· Premium Member
794 Posts
I have one warning to add to the discussion. I hate any recoil device that allows the comb to move against my cheek. so if you're considering things like Gracoil get her to shoot a gun that has one installed on it. She may or may not like it as well. soft touch and PFS the comb is stationary and the gun recoils into it. It's a much different feel.

· Registered
96 Posts
I`m recommend for your daughter ISIS Green Pad - before you will spend a lot of $$$.
They will ship to USA
That pad can be used on any stock - PFS, Wooden Stock and etc..

ISIS recoil system is the best one - but required wood stock modification. I have used one - Great System.

Good luck!

· Registered
220 Posts
Recent correspondence on a question I had with Recoil Systems....

FWIW:

"Thank you for your enquiry. Yes, the springs will compress when you pull the stock in tight. There are four sets of springs which will vary the mounting pressure dependent on the shooter but with the foam infill and leather covering in place, the soft springs will normally give enough resistance for the gun to be mounted snugly and compress 4 or 5 mm which will then leave enough time/room for the shock absorber to absorb the energy.

If you have the adjustable pad, the unit will give 6 mm lift, 14 mm drop, 6 mm to left and right but will rotate in any position to give you complete adjustment.

A standard KickEez will fit but only use the thinnest pad. If you use a thicker sorbothane pad, it will cause a bounce back against the shock absorber thereby reducing its efficiency.

The ISIS unit is grind to fit."

· Registered
Perazzi TMS/Browning Recoilless
1,584 Posts
I have Rad1a's(non-adjustable lop models) on both my guns. The 2a (adjustable lop model) may be the better option for your daughter if she is still not fully grown. Both of mine sport #6 kick-eez tarp pads. I prefer them over the Gracoil. The hydraulic cylinder is much smoother and has more range of suppression adjustment than the spring system of the Gracoil and it can be quickly changed and tailored to any load you run through the gun. As well the single point of adjustement for the butt and recoil pad is far superior. You never have to remove the recoil pad to make any adjustments.
Camera accessory Wood Gadget Table Camera lens
Musical instrument Wood Musical instrument accessory Hood Bag

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.