Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for some good all purpose entry level prescription shooting/sun glasses. My eyes are very light sensitive and I get some great prescription Wiley X brand. (DVX) sunglasses at Walmart for under $100 but they are really dark and fog up when it is hot. I am looking for an all around suggestion for lens color for cloudy to sunny, that will also help the bird show up good, and are available with prescription lenses.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Banned
5,302 Posts
Medium Yellow is typically good. Go to a one hour lens place that can dye the lens any color you want and any shade. They should have sample lenses that you can take outside and place in front of your regular glasses. Take a target with you and see what color works best for you.

·
Registered
5,989 Posts
I can recommend Decot.

I am also light sensitive and live in Florida. They make a "Target Sun" lens that is a dark shade of purple and is one of their darkest colors. They can make them polarized, which I highly recommend for the brightest conditions as it kills the glare.

I ordered my first prescription pair of glasses with "Target Sun" lenses over 20 years ago, and they are still my everyday sunglasses and the glasses I wear at the beach and shoot with under the brightest conditions.

They also make a wide variety of other colors, all available Rx and polarized if you want that option. My "go to" shooting lens color is what Decot calls "V-Lite" which is a lighter vermilion color. The frames are designed so that the lenses change easily and quickly.

Good Luck and Good Shooting!

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Can't go wrong on Decot glasses , also their is post 4 and a couple other clones all sprung from trying to imitate Decot glasses frames look pretty much the same but I do know the Post 4 owner is also a good shooter. all good choices.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Medium Yellow is typically good. Go to a one hour lens place that can dye the lens any color you want and any shade. They should have sample lenses that you can take outside and place in front of your regular glasses. Take a target with you and see what color works best for you.

I like this idea. Even at Walmart, they always hand me the different color lenses to pick out the ones I want. I will have to look at what they have at a few different places.

·
Registered
5,989 Posts
Yep, those $550 Decots are excellent entry level glasses. LOL.
You just pulled that figure of $550.00 out of the air...no way they will cost that much. A quick call to Decot at 1-800-528-1901 will prove it.

Yes, they will cost more than going the way you suggested in this post and you covered the "el cheapo" way to go, so I was trying to give him information on options available to him to get a lot more quality for the buck.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Everyone see's differently. Call the manufacturer and ask the sales rep for advice. Your best bet is to go to a big shoot where the manufacturers are present and they will let you look through every color available and then you can make the right choice

·
Banned
5,302 Posts
You just pulled that figure of $550.00 out of the air...no way they will cost that much. A quick call to Decot at 1-800-528-1901 will prove it.
And you just pulled that comment out of your ass.

"Clays Package

Plano ($266) | Rx Single Vision ($560) | Rx Bifocal ($644)
The Clays Package includes the Target Orange Lite Medium for low light, V-Lite Rose Light Medium #1 for average light, and ColorMag lenses for ultimate contrast on bright sunny days."

Decot Sport Glasses - The Best Shooting & Sport Glasses Under The Sun! - Classic Hy-Wyd Package

·
Registered
585 Posts
I got mine from my local Optical store. They work great. Flexable frames and Vermilion lenses. Saved about $150 instead of buying Decot.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Decot. You can't change out your eyes like you can a shotgun or different ammo. You get one pair of eyes. If your that light sensitive, YOU owe it to Yourself to spend the money to protect those eyes. Beginner or not. Once you have the frames, adding different colored lenses isn't that expensive.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks everyone for all the replies. Plenty of options here for me to look at.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
I have used Ranger Sporters from Morgan Optical for the past 20 years.......I have a set of clear prescription lenses with clip on's in various colors...............change in script I only need change the main lenses. They work great for me & the service at Morgan Optical is top of the line.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Dawgmary and hunter44 thanks for the advice. My job requires me to go to Olean, NY several times a year so I plan on looking into Morgan Optical in person to see what packages are available for my prescription.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts